Test drive scheduled for tomorrow!

Mason78

Petty Officer 1st Class
Tomorrow the wife and I are scheduled for the Yamaha test drive event! I'm not sold on the jet drives but I want to explore all options for my next boat. The wife really likes the transom design of the Yamaha.

Can you guys think of any questions I should ask? I already have a list of stuff I want to ask about but the more the better.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Test drive scheduled for tomorrow!

I would ask questions about their service department and the service required on the engines/drives. What I found when I was looking at jets was that they were motorcycle dealers that happened to work on boats and I was never impressed by their service departments. I do my own work now so it doesn't matter, but at that point it did.

Try to find some rough water to take the boat in. Does your wife like the transom design or the lack of prop? More and more prop driven boats have seating options on the transom for relaxing, etc. Good luck

Sandi_k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Our Monterey has a walk thru transom, too. We liked the Yammies when we saw them at the boat show, but they are EXPENSIVE in comparison to a conventional I/O. New was running $45K+ - and we got a new Monterey for $29K. Admittedly, we got a screaming deal, but you can get a new Glastron for that price.

If I were to buy a jet boat, I'd probably buy used - if you can find one.

Also take a look at the jet boat forum - a buddy owns one, and loves the forum - loads of info, and experienced owners.

Yamaha Jet Boaters • Index page

Mason78

Petty Officer 1st Class

What I found when I was looking at jets was that they were motorcycle dealers that happened to work on boats

I noticed the same thing. Fortunately, there is a local dealer that only deals in boats. They sell other brands too.

Sizzle Marine, Boat Dealer, Columbus, Ohio, Central Ohio's largest Boat Dealer, selling Monterey Boats, Tracker Boats, Stingray Boats, Tahoe Sport Boats, Nitro Bass Boats, Sun Tracker Pontoons, Sea-Doo and Yamaha Boats and Personal Watercraft

Mason78

Petty Officer 1st Class

Our Monterey has a walk thru transom, too. We liked the Yammies when we saw them at the boat show, but they are EXPENSIVE in comparison to a conventional I/O. New was running $45K+ - and we got a new Monterey for $29K. Admittedly, we got a screaming deal, but you can get a new Glastron for that price.
I agree you can get an I/O of the same size for less, to a point. When I look at comparable 21' I/Os, by the time I'm done adding everything I want, ie.. V8, tower, tandem trailer, ect ect. It comes to roughly the same as the Yamaha which has everything included.

I do like Glastron a lot, they offer a great value in my opinion. I have no experience with a Monterrey but I will try them out as well.

I am still early in the searching process. The wife says I have to take her to Hawaii before I buy another boat so that puts me at next year.... At least :grumpy:

BonairII

Commander

I agree you can get an I/O of the same size for less, to a point. When I look at comparable 21' I/Os, by the time I'm done adding everything I want, ie.. V8, tower, tandem trailer, ect ect. It comes to roughly the same as the Yamaha which has everything included.

I do like Glastron a lot, they offer a great value in my opinion. I have no experience with a Monterrey but I will try them out as well.

I am still early in the searching process. The wife says I have to take her to Hawaii before I buy another boat so that puts me at next year.... At least :grumpy:

You're taking a test drive and not ready to buy for a year??? Is the salesperson aware of this?

Mason78

Petty Officer 1st Class

You're taking a test drive and not ready to buy for a year??? Is the salesperson aware of this?

If you scroll to the top of the thread you will see my original post. The first sentence reads, "Tomorrow the wife and I are scheduled for the Yamaha test drive event".

It is an annual event in which the dealer has multiple boats in the water, an informational display, and invites anyone to take a 30 minute test run on their products, even curious walk-ups with no appointment are accommodated.

But thanks for your condescending question!

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The salesperson shouldn't care.

When I was an Army recruiter, I had parents bring their 15 year old kids in to talk to me. I didn't tell them to get out just cause they weren't ready to buy - the same logic will apply to any smart salesman. Just cause you can't make the sale today doesnt mean you dont take the time to set conditions for the future.

Allow me to tell a story of how I own the boat I own:

I went to the CNY boat show in January (I think) 2012 to look at two specific boats; a Stingray 195CX and a Rinker 220 MTXC. Both brands had dealers representing them there. I was ready to buy that day, cash in my pocket for a deposit, but I didn't let on to that fact. I went to the Stingray booth first. The Stingray dealers spent over an hour with me, showing me things and answering questions, no pressure, and were just completely friendly and awesome in general. Next I went to the Rinker dealer. They were useless; could not even quote me a price on the boat I was interested in and acted like he didn't have time to deal with me. Maybe he didn't take my intentions seriously because I didnt tell him I was ready to buy that day? In any event, after I was done talking to (or rather, being ignored by) the Rinker dealer rep, I walked back over to the Stingray dealer booth and placed my order for the 195CX in my sig on the spot. I liked both boats, and had it not been for the differing treatment I got from the sales reps, it would have continued to be a toss-up.

My purchase was not a huge one by new boat standards, but that one lousy salesman from the Rinker dealership still single handedly ended their chance of getting a ~$30k sale. The name of the Stingray dealership is Fremac Marine in Bridgeport, NY, and I would buy my next 10 boats from them. The other dealership's name I will not mention, but suffice to say they will never get my business or my endorsement.

BonairII

Commander

The salesperson shouldn't care.

When I was an Army recruiter, I had parents bring their 15 year old kids in to talk to me. I didn't tell them to get out just cause they weren't ready to buy - the same logic will apply to any smart salesman. Just cause you can't make the sale today doesnt mean you dont take the time to set conditions for the future.

Don't want to crap on the OPs thread, but I will defend my original post with this:

I've been in sales for the last decade....and I'm very good at what I do. I close 7 out of 10 customers(on first visit). Avg sale is $1000 bucks.

With that being said, I'll tell you a few things about customers(and prospective customers).

For every "feel good story" where the salesperson was nice and didn't pressure etc etc .and the customer came back and bought from the "nice salesperson".....there are countless other "not so feel-good stories" where customers have no intention of buying and/or won't ask for the salesperson that helped them previously cause they're hoping to work the sales staff against each other.

Army recruiting is another animal altogether. You can solicit as many prospects as you like.

Many salespeople work on an "up system"(cars, boats, electronics, etc etc)....so they are only allowed to help the person who comes in when it's their "turn". If the salesperson gets caught up with a "lookie loo" for hours....he/she may miss out on legitimate buyers that walk in the door.

BTW: The percentage of people that actually return to a store(dealer etc) and actually make a purchase....let alone ask for the original salesperson....is very very low.