leaky rivet fix from outside the boat??

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have had a leak that has been drivng me nuts. Finally got around to checking things out....while nose low on the trailer I put about 25 gallons into the bildge and found 3 minor leaking rivets as wall as leaks along the center piece that is rivited along the length of the keel. This center is the biggest of the leaks. Just wondering what can be done from the outside to take care of this. Gutting the interior is not an option. I am thinking of 3m5200?? Can rivets be put in from outside whithout bucking from the inside?? Any suggestions appreciated!! This is on my 22' Islander.

Thanx....Dan

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Re: leaky rivet fix from outside the boat??

This is perfect for closed end pop rivets. Drill out the old and rivet in new, from the outside. 3M also makes an epoxy system that is used from the outside. Heat with a torch and flow it in. I'd pop rivet from the outside 'cause it's cheaper. Slather the rivets with 5200 prior to installing.

Last edited:

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you for the replies...for some reason I thought that to replace rivets required access to the area both inside and out of the boat!! For now what I have done is use quick cure 3m4200 on all the rivets on the keel as well as seal the seam. Going to go out tomorrow and hopefully have a dry boat! I am sure this fix will last till at least the fall and at that time I will start replacing rivets. I'll let you all know how things work out 2morrow. Just wondering what is the correct name for the piece that is rivited to the keel...is it a chine?
thanx....Dan

Pantharen

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for the replies...for some reason I thought that to replace rivets required access to the area both inside and out of the boat!! For now what I have done is use quick cure 3m4200 on all the rivets on the keel as well as seal the seam. Going to go out tomorrow and hopefully have a dry boat! I am sure this fix will last till at least the fall and at that time I will start replacing rivets. I'll let you all know how things work out 2morrow. Just wondering what is the correct name for the piece that is rivited to the keel...is it a chine?
thanx....Dan

5200 is great, but it has almost zero flex, your boat is going to leak again, and you'll be back to square one very soon..