Timing a 1988, Chevy 350, 270 hp...

hippie2

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a new short block, have it in the boat but when looking at it there is NO timing mark on the harmonic balancer nor the old time steel setup with the timing degrees on it. How does one check the timing without any marks to shine the timing light on? Thank you, Bob

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Timing a 1988, Chevy 350, 270 hp...

You mark the harmoninc balancer using a piston stop tool for TDC, then buy the tin timing pointer that attaches to the timing cover.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did your new block have a composite timing cover?

hippie2

Seaman Apprentice

Don, The timing cover appears to be metal.

Boat Dr., I did not see any holes (but I wasn't really looking) to attach the timing pointer and also if I have to mark the balancer how do I know where to place the mark?

Another question; On my old engine I had a mechanic with a new style timing gun and all he did was hookup the wires and he did not even point the gun at the marker and it registered the degrees.

Sorry to bother you guys with such a question but I really don't know, everything has changed. Thanks, Bob

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Another question; On my old engine I had a mechanic with a new style timing gun and all he did was hookup the wires and he did not even point the gun at the marker and it registered the degrees.

You didn't watch enough, or he may have been looking at something else. Some guns show advance timing, but you still have to shoot at the timing marks.

You can buy timing pointers that bolt to the tin covers, but at Doc mentioned, you need to get a piston stop and make your own timing mark on the balancer at TDC of #1 piston.

hippie2

Seaman Apprentice

Boat DR and Don S., I now understand what you're saying. I put the #1 cylinder at TDC and mark the balancer where the pointer shows 0 degrees. I then readjust to * deg. BTC. Right? Thanks, Bob