Alternator Issue

lamphega

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1975 165hp Inline 6 that runs like a champ but my alternator is not putting out more than 12 volts. Looks like it's the original so no surprise there. I checked the prices of replacements and wow, 300$ and more! The Admiral would kill me if I tried that one after some other cash I have spent this year. Could I get by using a universal alternator like they sell on ebay? They have marine alternators, 1 wire at 105 amps Delco? They are new but I am sure not as well made as those they sell here on Iboats but would they work? She is a grand old boat that I don't use everyday but ready to splash soon.

Oshkosh1

Ensign
Re: Alternator Issue

It may be cheaper to have it locally rebuilt, then there's no question of the compatability.

becxlt

Seaman Apprentice

Stay away from Flea Bay… the prices are appealing on Marine Grade alternators and starters
But they just don’t last. I bought starter from DB electrical EBay super seller the starter made it just passed the warranty then died . In the long run it wasn’t worth it .

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Go with the rebuild rather than replace...

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Might just be the brushes and fairly easy to replace. Open it up and have a look. If not up to that, as stated, I think most major cities has an electric shop that repairs and rebuilds. J&N Electric here in Cincinnati rebuilt a reverse spin stater for me at ~ $57 I think it was.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

55A is more than enough for a boat. Brushes for the GM are 2 bucks at the most.

lamphega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, it is off to a local shop for me on Monday

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might ask the local shop if they can just sell you the brushes, bearings and misc stuff that comes in the rebuild kit. Kits are typically under $25 for those.....but a local shop should rebuild it for you for around $50-$65. (It takes less than 30 minutes to do.....)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Even if the problem is the brushes, have the shop do the job. You may not see the reason the brushes are bad, plus the shop checks everything else that you can't.