Non-Structural Deck Hatch - Substrate Alternatives

troyt

Seaman Apprentice
I have read all of the post here about using plywood for decking, tons of great info. I am going to make a storage area (first project) for the front of my Gheenoe and do not need the strength(or weight) of plywood as a core. I was thinking of using lanau or foam board to shape a core and then glassing inside and out with chop strand or 6 oz. cloth and resin. I really don't want to make a mold for one piece. Any pitfalls I should be aware of? BTW, I got to see two new custom Gheenoes unmolded yesterday at their factory. This is awesome glass work: www.customgheenoe.com<br />Tahnks!!

crab bait

Captain
Re: Non-Structural Deck Hatch - Substrate Alternatives

i don't know if you ever made anything an fiberglassed it.. but if'n you did,, you'd sure use plywood or some other almost-ready-to-finish medium..

troyt

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Crab Bait. I went to Lowes today looking for that "something else" and ended up with 1/2" BC exterior plywood. Nothing else was rigid enough. Another question: After I build this storage area, I am going to attach it to the sides and bottom using fiberglass tape and resin. The sides and bottom are fiberglass with that "white paint with black splatters" finish. Can I just sand down to glass, or should I grind in a little?

crab bait

Captain

i'd go 'little'.. i'd use epoxy .. polyester doesn't take to cure polyester very well.. <br /><br />if'n you want to 'match-the-hatch',, go back to loews an get a white & black marblizer paint pack.. in the paint section.. it really works & easy to do..!! for less then 10 bucs..

troyt

Seaman Apprentice

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, the Gheenoe has come a long way. My first boat was a Gheenoe, I bought it in 1982, and traded it in on a deck boat in 1990. I just couldn't see raising my infant son in a boat that was barely a foot deep. He's sixteen now, and he just saw his first pictures of a <br />Gheenoe, what did he say? "I wish we had one of those." I like your mods GN, but I was amazed by what some of the people on the Gheenoe website were doing with them.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

do not need the strength(or weight) of plywood as a core. [/QB]
Then styrofoam covered by a single layer of epoxy resin/cloth or mat should do you a great job. If the box needs to have hinges or braces screwed down to it--<br /><br />dig out a bit of the styrofoam, lay in a little block of wood that's a inch or so bigger than the hinge or brace near the spot it attaches, and glass it in. <br /><br />It should work great, that's basically how they do the transoms on fiberglass boats.

HankFish

Recruit

Hi,<br />I saw your article and pictures of your gheenoe modification. It looks great. Thank you for sharing your ideas. I would like a little more detail and list the materials used for your spatter paint job. Keep the pictures of your project coming. Thanks again.<br /><br />Hank

Realgun

Commander

That is realy very nice however how are you going to attach it to the boat er gheenoe?

troyt

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry I haven't posted lately, but here are the final two steps:<br />
028313.jpg
<br />
029081.jpg
<br />
029082.jpg

jheron

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice job Glass Newbie! <br />Dont forget to drill a hole so the water can get outa your new compartment. :) <br />Regards Jon