water only coming out of the exhaust ports on my motor

lance707

Recruit
1980 85 hp 2 stroke johnson

I just bought this motor today and replaced the impeller/housing/gaskets/o rings and the lower unit gear oil like I do on every motor I buy.

I started it up and water only comes out of the exhaust holes, a lot of water shoots out about 10" of heavy flow...I have never had this problem before so I took off the thermostat housing and blew air through each head and I could feel the air coming out through the pee hole on the head...I started it again without the thermostate housing on and only a tiny tiny bit of water was spitting out of the left side where the thermostat should be

What would cause this?

The motor starts right up idles fine and sounds great but that's only for a few seconds because I don't want to get it hot

Sorry won't let me add photos

Lil' Johnson

Seaman Apprentice
Re: water only coming out of the exhaust ports on my motor

Maybe missed the water tube when reinstalling the lower unit? Are you sure the impeller vanes were turned the right direction when you twisted it in the cup?sounds like the tube didn't find the hole

lance707

Recruit
nly coming out of the exhaust ports on my motor

nly coming out of the exhaust ports on my motor

Ya the impeller was spun the right way I always make sure to draw with a pen the direction it was clockwise....I'm not 100% that the tube hit it's mark I was slowly pushing it up while looking at.the shift linkage I never thought that it could miss I was under.rhe impression it would only fit 1 way but I will take it apart again tomorrow and redo it

wolfsmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

had an older evinrude that wouldnt pee unless it was in over 1 foot of water. could be one of those.

salmonite

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that happened to me once, i missed the rubber gromlet and that was the cause. much smaller engine though 9.9hp.