Square Bolt behind flywheel

Red9654

Petty Officer 2nd Class
on my 1969 chrysler 45hp outboard model 4545 there is a square bolt does anyone know what this is for?

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: Square Bolt behind flywheel

on my 1969 chrysler 45hp outboard model 4545 there is a square bolt does anyone know what this is for?

Please post a picture of the bolt! The thermostat housing plug is all I can visualize (attached). That is where I installed the Tell Tall fitting to show cooling water out the side vs the back.

Attachments

• 2010 Cleaning Since 1985, as needed Greasing (6).JPG
    2010 Cleaning Since 1985, as needed Greasing (6).JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 0
  • A Solid TellTale Stream W-O Exhaust (8).jpg
    A Solid TellTale Stream W-O Exhaust (8).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1970, 35 HP Chrysler Clear Tell Tale.JPG
    1970, 35 HP Chrysler Clear Tell Tale.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If it's the square plug on the bottom of the motor on the exhaust side on the spacer plate.
It's a plug for the water passage.

Red9654

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the bolt is on the top of the motor right above the cylinders like in the pics posted about but here is a pic of my motor. on youtube i have seen ppl connect hoses to this spot and run the motor like that, is that safe to do?IMAG0323.jpg

wickware

Lieutenant

My Guess and Thought!!! Would water get to the impeller to lube and protect it???

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

It is not a square bolt . It is a pipe plug. It seals the water chamber behind the thermostat cover. You can remove it and insert a 90 degree barbed brass fitting (1/4 or 3/8 NPT depending upon its size now) and attach a hose for a visual " pisser"

OR: you can simply leave it alone..

cbercaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

+1 for the pisser install...

wickware

Lieutenant

""i have seen ppl connect hoses to this spot and run the motor like that, is that safe to do?""

What is the answer to the questiom?

cbercaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

""i have seen ppl connect hoses to this spot and run the motor like that, is that safe to do?""

Please confirm; Are you are talking about connecting a garden hose to the top of the cooling jacket for the purpose of running the motor out of water??...People often install Tell Tales (pisser) off this port.

cbercaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you mean to connect a hose for cooling/ test purpose then; I have never done it but I assume you run a good chance of burning up your impeller by bypassing the water pump and cooling it through the head. I would never try that....Test Tank or appropriate muffs recomended.

Red9654

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this is how my water intake looks. i have never seen muffs for this before. the holes in the second pic are on the bottom part of the whte metal on the lower unitIMAG0324.jpgIMAG0325.jpg

Red9654

Petty Officer 2nd Class

right above the antiventalation plate

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

NO! Those holes were drilled by the previous owner in an effort to get less backpressure and gain power. They will blow out exhaust and make the engine more noisy, not really add any power, and serve almost no useful function.

Above the prop there should be a small plate held by a bolt. This plate is bent and runs down the front of the exhaust snout. It has multiple small holes in it. This is the water pick-up and it was supposed to use water pressure off the prop to help ease water to the pump. A brass tube runs at an angle from inside this plate up to the water pump. It was a crappy system and you can not use muffs with it. You must immerse the lower unit in a bucket to have cooling water.

I believe that by 1970 they changed the water pick-up to a screened opening just above the gearcase torpedo and changed the water pump to a four bolt pump. Your engine has three flat head screws holding the water pump in place on the lower unit.

Red9654

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so this is the water intake? and is there anyway to fill in those holes drilled by the other owner?IMAG0326.jpgIMAG0327.jpgIMAG0328.jpgIMAG0329.jpgIMAG0330.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Yes, that is the water intake. Rough the holes in the spacer and fill with a marine epoxy or tap them and screw in bolts with Locktite.

AND: Reverse the bolts holding the Whale Tail to the anti-ventilation plate. Those locknuts belong on top. Right now you are dragging excess parts through the water. Please file the edges of your prop smooth and replace the plain steel cotter pin on the tailcone with a stainless one.

Red9654

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im not sure if i can flip the bolts on thw whale tail. I did not put that on whoever had it b4 me did and he stripped the screw head of the bolt makin it almost impossible to remove them now. And can i use a grinder to fix my prop?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The aluminum may clog a grinder. It is more accurate to use a hand file.