Suzuki DF70 starts and runs great then wont start back up for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

katfish2123

Cadet
I just bought this motor from my dad and brother because they got frustrated with it one too many times and went and bought a new one.

They said that the motor would start fine, idle fine, run at all RPM ranges fine, plenty of power. Then when they shut it off a lot of the times it won't start back up unless it sits for a while usually 20 minutes minimum.

I'm just fishing for your thoughts. I am going to get more specifics soon and add them on here.

This is my first 4 stroke and honestly I am a little hesitant to get into it but I'm also excited for the challenge.

Also, I did a search for this motor and their is another post on here that sounds exactly like this problem but there are no replys to the initial question.

katfish2123

Cadet
Re: Suzuki DF70 starts and runs great then wont start back up for a while

I just got done reading a quite lengthy post titled "Suzuki sucks" and it sounds like the same kind of deal this engine is having. Seems to be heat related. I will be using some of the ideas in that post as I have the time to work on it. Has anyone hear of someone successfully repairing this issue with this model engine??? Just curious. I would love to learn a lot about the motor and th operations and systems used on 4 stroke efi engines during this process

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

easy to test to see if it is loosing spark with a spark tester or timing light when it will not start.

Not sure what to do if it is heat related that is vaporizing fuel out of VST and flooding motor with rich fumes except open throttle to get more air.
Might make sure to run motor at idle for a while before shutting off to cool motor off after higher RPM runs

katfish2123

Cadet

Thanks yam. I will try that. I just got the controls mounted on the boat and it will be at least another week before I can set the motor on to find out if what you mentioned works and also to make sure I hooked everything up right.

katfish2123

Cadet
I got the motor on the boat and it is still doing the same thing. I have been living with it for 2 seasons now. I really want to get this thing fixed for this season so I don't have to constantly worry about it. Letting it idle for a while after running at high RPM didn't work. I haven't tested the spark during that the times when it won't start yet.
It threw a code 31 last season and continued to run. Beeped all the way back to the boat landing.

Overall,
Throws Code 31
won't restart after warm unless you start it back up immediately after shutting it off. If it sits for between 5-30 minutes it won't restart. After 30 minutes or sometimes as much as an hour (I'm assuming after the engine cools off) it will start right back up.
All cold starts are perfect. No problems there.
Has had a complete service, they did not have a diagnostic computer for Suzuki.

If anyone knows a reputable service tech for Suzuki Outboards anywhere near Charlotte that info would be appreciated also.

katfish2123

Cadet
I got the motor on the boat and it is still doing the same thing. I have been living with it for 2 seasons now. I really want to get this thing fixed for this season so I don't have to constantly worry about it. Letting it idle for a while after running at high RPM didn't work. I haven't tested the spark during that the times when it won't start yet.
It threw a code 31 last season and continued to run. Beeped all the way back to the boat landing.

Overall,
Throws Code 31
won't restart after warm unless you start it back up immediately after shutting it off. If it sits for between 5-30 minutes it won't restart. After 30 minutes or sometimes as much as an hour (I'm assuming after the engine cools off) it will start right back up.
All cold starts are perfect. No problems there.
Has had a complete service, they did not have a diagnostic computer for Suzuki.

If anyone knows a reputable service tech for Suzuki Outboards anywhere near Charlotte that info would be appreciated also.

katfish2123

Cadet
I just found this in the archives. Exact same problem. There are some great ideas on how to fix it, but this has me shaken a little bit.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...e/yamaha-suzuki-outboards/224217-suzuki-sucks

I am not going through the badmouthing of Suzuki engines, because this thing runs like a top when it runs and I mostly use it to get me out on the lake to sit for a while anyway. As stated above, I just don't want to deal with it this season as I am planning on doing more fishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.