Short shaft to long shaft

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class
How much do you think it would cost to convert my 2013 9.8 hp Tohatsu from short shaft to long shaft?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Short shaft to long shaft

Costly. Why are you in the need of doing so ?

Happy Boating

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Sea Rider. I bought another boat with a long shaft 1989 15 hp Evinrude. Runs just fine. I like this boat better than my other boat which has the short shaft Tohatsu (only 21 hrs on it) . I would like to put the Tohatsu on the long shaft boat since it is new plus it's a 4 stroke. Maybe I should just keep both boats the way they are. Although I'm not real keen on having 2 boats.

pvanv

Admiral

To change to Long, you need an exhaust housing, water pipe, driveshaft, and cam rod, plus a couple of hours of labor by someone who understands what is involved. Usually better off financially to sell or trade-in your existing motor for one of the length you need.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Which material is the boat having the long leg made of ? wood, alum, fiberglass ? Could chop transom 5" down or place a exterior jack plate properly height seated and use the newer Tohatsu.

Happy Boating

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. The long shaft boat is aluminum with a wood transom. Don't really want to cut it up:eek: In true I-boats forum style , I think I'll keep both boats:D