If only there were a good use for dandelions....

Bubba1235

No longer on Forums
... I'd be RICH.

So much goofy weather we haven't put any "spring" chems on the grass yet and the dandelions are making the most for the opportunity.

Maybe this weekend it'll be nice enough to spray.

nwcove

Admiral
Re: If only there were a good use for dandelions....

dandelion wine!!!! ( ick), but some people love it! lol

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I know a lot of people that eat them in salads

fishrdan

Admiral

Bon Appetit :D

salad2.jpg

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

My grandmother made dandelion wine one time,we picked and picked and picked somemore when were kids to fill that big crock full of heads,when it settled we picked more.she brewed it up and we got to sample it when it was done. Mabe thats why I dont care for wine......lol
Grub

matt167

Captain

dandelion and burdock - Yahoo! Image Search Results

dandelion and burdock its a fizzy drink i use to get all the time as a kid. Not sure if it realy contains dandelions or what burdock is but i still get a bottle now and then from the world market. The taste is.........hmmmm....acquired

Burdock is a common name for Arctium lappa. Some cultures use it's root as a vegetable, but at least here in NY, it's just an invasive weed.. I have had the Dandelion and Burdock drink once or twice and it's different but a good change. My uncle used to make dandelion wine.

one mans weed is another mans flower (so i grew up drinking fizzy weeds. It could have been worse and been mushroom tea:faint2:)

so bubba after a hard winter you are not happy to see a little color in the yard?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

At least dandelions have the pretty little yellow flower, and blowing the tufted seed ball was fun when you were a kid.

If only there was a good use for FIRE ANTS!!! Talk about invasive, worthless, and a nuisances...

aspeck

Staff member

Burdock you dip in egg and flour and fry. Dandelion flowers are very bitter, but the greens are yummy, especially when young. Clean thoroughly, add a bunch of sliced egg and drench in a hot bacon or ham dressing. Pour dandelion and hot dressing mix over boiled potatoes. YUM! A favorite springtime meal, just a real pain to pick the dandelion and clean well.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Bubba1235, there are a few house around my area that have yellow yards covered with dandlions. There are so many in their yards that they look solid yellow. I never seen that many before this year. Can't imagine what their neighbors will do once they start turning to seed... I also understand that over seas dandelions are a salad stable to eat. They seriously thing we Americans are stupid for not eating them...go figure... My fall fertilizer/weed killer has taken care of my dandelion issues this year... But if you need any, let me know and I'll cut some for you from those other yards... :lol:

tpenfield

Staff member

I too am way behind on my yard work . . . I think the 'new' boat has something to do with that. :rolleyes:

My neighbor across the street is the kind of person who spends most of his waken hours working on his yard . . . it pisses him off to look across the road to see my weed farm :noidea: not that I care too much.

Well, today, I got the grass seed, fertilizer, lawn sprinklers out and went at it. . . of course, if I do get some grass to grow, I suppose, I'll have to mow it :rolleyes:

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class

I too am way behind on my yard work . . . I think the 'new' boat has something to do with that. :rolleyes:

My neighbor across the street is the kind of person who spends most of his waken hours working on his yard . . . it pisses him off to look across the road to see my weed farm :noidea: not that I care too much.

Well, today, I got the grass seed, fertilizer, lawn sprinklers out and went at it. . . of course, if I do get some grass to grow, I suppose, I'll have to mow it :rolleyes:

Had a neighbor like that once, I just bought more project vehicles to park on the yard, so they just killed the weeds and grass, he quit fussing after I drug the 5th truck home. LOL.

There is a restaurant here that has Dandelion salads on their menu, never tried one.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The leaves are excellent in salad BUT you must harvest the leaves BEFORE the buds open or flower. That is the secret to cutting down on the bitterness.