454 harmonic balancer and timing cover removal?

snowdan

Cadet
So I am trying to pull the harmonic balancer and was going to use a breaker bar but after reading a bit it sounds like an impact is the way to go. My question is if my engine is reverse rotation would the center bolt on the balancer need to spin the opposite way of engine rotation to come off? Any tools I can use to stop the engine from spinning when doing this?

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: 454 harmonic balancer and timing cover removal?

Which way dose the balancer spin when the engine is running? What is the engine powering (stern drive, inboard, etc), any serial numbers?
If the balancer spins clockwise when you face it, the engine is standard rotation.

Not sure about a LH threaded bolt for a RR engine, maybe one of the other guys know.
If you can get an impact gun on it, that will be your best bet for removing the bolt, and the engine shouldn't spin while removing it.

Use a harmonic balancer puller, and installer when removing and installing the balancer (pry bars, and hammers are for hacks), even if you need to rent them.

When it's time to torque your bolt down, the trick I always used was to pull one of the spark plugs out of the cylinders, and feed a piece of cotton rope down into the cylinder to the point that rotating the engine over to TDC on that cylinder locks the engine in place. This will allow you to properly torque the bolt down.

tpenfield

Staff member

When I took the Harmonic Balancer off my 454, I recall needing a special tool to remove it. You will get the bolt off, but that is just the start of the 'fun'.

Not sure if your vintage of 454 is different . . . got an engine make/serial number to share?

snowdan

Cadet

The engine spins ccw when looking at the balancer. No serial numbers. Casting number 361959 P. J877
The suffix code is To1191SH. It is powering a inboard on a ski boat. Not sure what Kind of motor it is. All I know is it was made oct, 8 1977 I think? Could not really figure anything from the suffix code maybe made in flint. 454 .
It is not the original engine for the boat. It has a 1:1 Borg Werner Tranny

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The crankshafts are the same for a CW and a CCW engine, and the bolt is standard direction. An impact makes it easy to remove, not a good idea for installation. Removing the starter and using a big screwdrive in the teeth of the ring gear and the block to lock the engine usually works to prevent the engine from turning.