4.3 Mercruiser V-6 idle hanging up

Bucknaked

Recruit
I have a 1992 Bayliner with a 4.3L Mercruiser V-6. My idle is not returning all the way back down when I put the boat in neutral. It stays at about 1200RPM, I can open the engine bay and touch the cable and it settles down. I'm worried about shutting the boat off at high idle and it backfiring and water locking the engine. I tried a return spring on the cable but no luck, its designed from the factory not to have one, at least not by the carb. The cable also looks like a single strand, not like a clutch cable on a motorcycle. The cable is 21 years old but the boat only has roughly 400 hours on it. Can I lube this cable like a clutch cable on a motorcycle? Any words of advice would be great!!! Thank You!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 4.3 Mercruiser V-6 idle hanging up

You need to adjust the throttle cable to put a slight amount of pressure on the carb linkage holding it to the idle position.
Turn the barrel on the threaded section of the cable to adjust.

melvind1

Cadet
Re: 4.3 Mercruiser V-6 idle hanging up

You need to adjust the throttle cable to put a slight amount of pressure on the carb linkage holding it to the idle position.
Turn the barrel on the threaded section of the cable to adjust.
Did this fix your problem....if so,can you offer any pics or diagrams...mine is doing the same thing...kinda dangerous.