150 OB vs 4.3 I/O on a Hurricane

NEboater28

Cadet
I'm narrowing my search for a deck boat and I'm leaning towards a used Hurricane. There doesn't seem to be a ton of inventory. However, 1 local dealer has two used 2001 Fundecks:

1) '01 Fundeck FD201 20' w/ 4.3 i/o 190 hp
2) '01 Fundeck FD226 22' w/Merc 150 hp 2 stroke OB

Both boats are about the same price with similar hours.

I'll be using the boat exclusively on a moderate sized lake with relatively calm waters. I will be using the boat primarily for water sports (tubing, wakeboarding, skiing). I'd expect to have 4-6 adults on board with a couple kids during these activities.

Question: Do you think either of these boats will have enough power to give me a decent hole shot if I prop it right (4blade). I'll be pulling novice skiers and don't want to drown them on the way up. I don't need have a need for speed, just want to get up and get going. Also, I'm not partial to either the OB or the I/O, just want the one that will get me up and out of the hole as quick as possible with enough power to pull things with some weight on board.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 150 OB vs 4.3 I/O on a Hurricane

the 2 stroke outboard will have the imediate ponies to get you on plance for sure.
best of luck

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

If the boats were the same size and "all things equal" I would choose the OB every day. In this case the smaller boat has the "bigger" engine and I'd guess that the OB is just adequate power on the 22' boat. I'd guess that the FD226 is closer to 22'...you wrote 26'.

Is that Merc an Optimax, carb, or EFI?

I think for me it would come down to a couple of things. Take a sea trial. Put the boats in the water and try to test them both in as close to real world conditions as possible. If the 150 OB doesn't seem to have the hole shot you need your decision is pretty easy. If they seem to perform equally it may come down to which has the room and accomodations you like best.

I prefer outboards because of the relative ease of working on them. However, in your case I'd think that it's a safe bet that the 26' boat is going to be heavier than the 20' boat. And seeing as how the 26' boat has less power than the lighter 20' boat, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that the smaller boat with a more powerful engine is going to be more capable of pulling skiers.

NEboater28

Cadet

My mistake (typo) .. the OB is on a 22' boat. The dealer said it was a 2stroke EFI.

I just called the dealer to set up an appointment to test drive the boats and he advised me that he just got in a newer (2006) Hurricane 23'6" in with a 5.0 mpi I/O at 260hp. I was excited until he told me this boat is about $10k more than the other two I was looking at (from initial post). It's more than I wanted to spend, but I guess it's worth test driving all three. All three boats have similar hours.

Is the larger engine and with more hp work the extra $10k comparing all 3?

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class

A lot of the extra 10 K is because that boat is a couple foot bigger. I have a 4.3 on a 19 foot bow rider and it pulls good. It will pull fine in the boat you mentioned above.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

Allot of different variables to consider. I personally would take the outboard because it's allot easier to maintain and work on and winterize. do you have any prior experience with either type of motor? A cracked manifold from an in proper weatherization will quickly sway your decision if you live in a climate where it freezes in winter.
But i/o's are nice and quiet and you don't get the 2 stroke exhaust smell.

NEboater28

Cadet

I'm certainly not a mechanic. I'm leaning towards the OB simply for maintenance reasons. I live in the Northeast so winter freeze is certainly a concern.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a 20' boat with a 210 hp 5.7L. With 8 or 10 people on board it is adequate but that's about it. I would think a 20' boat with 20 less HP and probably less torque due to the smaller engine would be disappointing to me.
For getting people in and out of the water and connecting tow ropes an I/O will be a lot nicer. You won't have that big engine in the way. If you sea trial the boats spend some time sitting on the back of the boat and envision pulling in a skier or a rope or helping someone get into the water.
Is the 2006 worth 10K more? Maybe, that's your call. For a 23' boat I would want 300 HP. If it were me, and all 3 are pretty decent boats, I'd try really hard to get into the 2006.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The I/O will weigh in at about 800# more than the OB. It will also take up lots more cockpit space. The I/O will use lots less fuel, but have more maintenance, including winterizing.

If you plan to trailer the boat, the OB boat will be easier due to it's light weight. The OB should have plenty of power, as the I/O will as well.

I have owned both of those boats, or near to them, with both powerplants. I like the OB, as the maintenance is a whole lot less.

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

But i/o's are nice and quiet and you don't get the 2 stroke exhaust smell.

Thats the best part of an ob. I love the smell of 2 stroke

And another good thing about the i/o is that its a 4.3. Quite possibly one of the better gm motors to be made. Its basically a sbc with 2. Less cylinders they are very difficult to kill
Like they always say a chev will run bad longer then most motors will run

NEboater28

Cadet

Thanks! I'll be leaving the boat in the lake most of the summer, so throwing it on the trailer won't be as much of an issue. Doing a test drive in the AM. I'll report back with more questions I'm sure.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats the best part of an ob. I love the smell of 2 stroke

And another good thing about the i/o is that its a 4.3. Quite possibly one of the better gm motors to be made. Its basically a sbc with 2. Less cylinders they are very difficult to kill
Like they always say a chev will run bad longer then most motors will run

Nothing beats the smell of a 2 stroke dirt bike!

My 4.3 was a tank but accidently leave some water in the block that you didn't know was there and "Crack-a-manfoldo"! The alkalies heal of I/O's!

NEboater28

Cadet

I ended up buying a new Sundeck 187 with a 4.3 MPI 220 hp. I was surprised how much room was in the boat. After looking at some used crap for a few thousand less, I decided to go new. It was a perfect fit for my lake. I'm picking it up next week... I can't wait!