Is this oily film deposit normal ???

jslu

Seaman
1983 40 HP MERCURY, SERIAL NO. NOT KNOWN

This motor has intermittent cooling water flow from pee hole. It ranges fron normal at times to no flow at all with steam eventually exiting from pee hole. Shutting off and waiting and restarting will return flow to normal for awhile and then returning to intermittent when throttling up and down. Exiting water temp ranges from normal luke warm to hot, 140 degrees F. When the motor is peeing properly, it runs very good, shifts in and out of gear at idle speeds with no stalling. 150 PSI on both cylinders, lync and sync per specs.

When I first acquired this motor, I replaced the impeller as a first step before firing it up. I noticed that the original impeller had disintegrated and bits and pieces were in the pump housing. My guess is that pieces of this impeller are elsewhere in the cooling chambers and floating around and blocking flow at times.

OK for the water flow problem. Now, where is this oily film coming from??

I am running this motor in a very large barrel and I noticed that that the water in the barrel was becoming very oily. The tan color of the oil film in the exhaust tube AND the driveshaft housing will eventually turn black. My guess here is that exhaust gas is leaking by some gasket into the water chamber and heating the water. If this oil film is normal, I hate to think I'm putting that oily mess into the clean lakes here in Maine.

Any othr ideas ??

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• IMG_3587_1.JPG
    IMG_3587_1.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 0

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Is this oily film deposit normal ???

idk for sure i had this same ?? a while back it seems yes ur bottom gasket may be bad however a little oil is normal as whatever is not burnt in cylinders exits out the exhaust ..as long as its not to bad your ok !!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Is this oily film deposit normal ???

Agreeing with the the other responses. Don't forget that running in a barrel concentrates the unburned oil, so it looks a lot worse than it is. Check the exhaust tube gasket, a leaking one can let the muck get everywhere inside the driveshaft housing.