Water in bellows

planeracer

Cadet
Hello,

Today I decided to change an oil on my volvo 275 outdrive and oil was milky, then after bellows inspection found lot of cracks on it, last year oil in outdrive was ok, but im not sure if bellows leaked or not. As soon I removed bellows from upper gear drive milky water came out, boat was sitting on trailer from last october, and I'm not sure why water didn't leak out. Now, looks like I need to remove flywheel sealing ring to inspect to see if any water went in. Is that hard to do? Do I need to call for mechanic to do it? Probably I need replace that sealing ring after it removed or I can use old sealing?
And looks like part number for that sealing ring will be #958860. Probably I need to replace sealing ring on upper gearbox to. Or need to get whole gasket kit?
Thank you for your attention.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water in bellows

Here is how to replace the bellows.
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...tdrives/outdrive-side-pin-removal-309095.html

To replace the 2 bearings in the flywheel housing (assuming this is the 350 in your other posts) you will have to pull the engine in order to replace the bearings and seals.

Since you have water in the drive and this has been going on for a couple of years the seal washer in the input shaft into the gear box is probably rusty and needs replaced. This requires dis assembly of the input shaft in the upper gear box, replacing the defective parts and reassembly and checking rolling torques and shimming.

Here is the Service Manual for your drive.

planeracer

Cadet
Re: Water in bellows

Don,
Thanks for reply. Last year oil was all clear, But I didnt check the bellows. Maybe it was already had a hole in it. I just try to get some grease from behind flywhell housing sealing, and grease was a green color with little milky color in it. I dont know how to remove that sealing on flywheel housing to inspect what is going on in there or i need to pull engine for that?

Thanks