16 ss motor size questions.

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi
I have a 1984 16ss with a 1981 70 hp Johnson Sea Horse 2 stroke on it. Its plenty of power, although I wouldn't mind a bit more. Yet I could live with out more power also.

I found someone who's interested in my motor and I'm considering a new 4 stroke. I've looked around and searched here, but still unsure what my limits are. My Boat is rated for 90 hp Max, but I'm not sure if a 90 hp 4 Stroke is too heavy. I was thinking a 60-75 would do, and my budget isn't enough to really spend more then 60-75 anyways.

I'm not entirely sure I should sell my 70, and spend $4,000+ just to have a shiney new 4 stroke. The guy who wants a 70 hp sea horse put $1200 as a ball park price on his kijiji ad, and I'm not sure how much more I want for mine. My motor is top notch, always maintained and runs strong. I'm sure $2000 would persuade me, but I'm guessing he wont spend that much.

Advice and suggestions welcome.

P.S my prices are Canadian, in case they look off.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 16 ss motor size questions.

Well, a new 75 4 stroke will cost closer to $7500-$8500.

How badly do you want to put a BMW engine into your Ford?

blazin_jason

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 90hp 4 stroke honda on mine. Haven't used it too much yet, but the 1 time I had it out it seemed a little stern heavy. Only when putting around, but under power it's fine. I'm in the process of moving my battery to the front to help move some weight forward. As for power, the previous owner said it would do 45mph, and used it for tubing etc. The downside is that adding a kicker could be a challenge with a heavier OB.

SKDave

Seaman Apprentice

Thinking of putting a 360lb engine on a 16'? Only a "fool" would do that:lol:

dozerII

Admiral

Hi
I have a 1984 16ss with a 1981 70 hp Johnson Sea Horse 2 stroke on it. Its plenty of power, although I wouldn't mind a bit more. Yet I could live with out more power also.

I found someone who's interested in my motor and I'm considering a new 4 stroke. I've looked around and searched here, but still unsure what my limits are. My Boat is rated for 90 hp Max, but I'm not sure if a 90 hp 4 Stroke is too heavy. I was thinking a 60-75 would do, and my budget isn't enough to really spend more then 60-75 anyways.

I'm not entirely sure I should sell my 70, and spend $4,000+ just to have a shiney new 4 stroke. The guy who wants a 70 hp sea horse put $1200 as a ball park price on his kijiji ad, and I'm not sure how much more I want for mine. My motor is top notch, always maintained and runs strong. I'm sure $2000 would persuade me, but I'm guessing he wont spend that much.

Advice and suggestions welcome.

P.S my prices are Canadian, in case they look off.

Hey Paul glad to see you back at it. In my honest opinion look into a 70-90hp Etec, a friend of mine has one and it is the fastest starting, smoothest running most economical 2 stroke ever. Plus lighter and less bulk than a comparable 4 stroke.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey Paul glad to see you back at it. In my honest opinion look into a 70-90hp Etec, a friend of mine has one and it is the fastest starting, smoothest running most economical 2 stroke ever. Plus lighter and less bulk than a comparable 4 stroke.

X2!

I love spending other guys $$$$:thumb:

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I guess my only real motivation to sell my 81' motor, is that its days are numbered, sort to speak. There comes a time where everything of value becomes unsellable. There is also a point in time when it makes most sense to sell it, before it starts to depreciate significantly.

$6000-8000 for a new motor that will last 30-40 years
$1500-2000 for a 30 year old, 30-40 year motor seems to make sense, if your going to invest in a new motor.

I just bought a $8000 quad because it didn't make any sense to overpay for a used one. The same quads are selling for $3000, after 14 years. Yes, 1999 Honda Foreman 500's for $3000 or more. And they sell in no time. A few friends think I'm crazy for spending that much for a quad, but if you break it down I only pay around $600 a year to own it.

I'm not sure I'll ever have a chance to sell my motor again, for a decent price at least. Yet it should last another 10 years plus. I'm no economics grad, or businessman for that matter, but it seems to make sense to sell, regardless of how I feel about it.

I don't know if any of that makes sense, BTW. lol

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Perhaps figure what payments if financed would be on a brand new motor, then run yours for another 5 or 10 years while putting that "payment" into a new motor fund. Perhaps that is an option?

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class

Perhaps figure what payments if financed would be on a brand new motor, then run yours for another 5 or 10 years while putting that "payment" into a new motor fund. Perhaps that is an option?

That's a good idea, plus I just finished getting it all cleaned, carbs overhauled, and she runs like a swiss watch.

Yet I'd love to lose the carbs all together, and save money on gas. Plus the reliability, warranty, less noise, smoke-free, ect, ect

I don't think there is an easy answer, but I'll see what the guy offers me.

I like having a motor I can work on, computer free. :)

InMotion

Commander

That's a good idea, plus I just finished getting it all cleaned, carbs overhauled, and she runs like a swiss watch.

Yet I'd love to lose the carbs all together, and save money on gas. Plus the reliability, warranty, less noise, smoke-free, ect, ect

I don't think there is an easy answer, but I'll see what the guy offers me.

I like having a motor I can work on, computer free. :)

It would be interesting to see the "NET" cost --- that is after you factor in the reduced gas use, repairs, etc. I would think an old motor is less exensive. However, based on the fact that it runs great, it really is just a cost and "clean air" thing.... if you've got the money for it and prefer to go that route --- go for it!! If not, the idea of putting the dough away for a few years as though you were making a payment makes much sense.

Either way, have a fun boating!!!

J.