Timing belt issues volvo aq 125

madridbruce

Cadet
hey guys n gals i have an aq 125 a volvo in my 83 bayliner 1950 cuddy. my old timing belt was worn badly.remennace of the old belt all over the engine and compartment black gritty rubber. i turned the crank until the intermediate shaft and crank shaft marks were at 10 deg the cam mark was at lined up top dead center. i pulled the old put a new tensioner unit on and then the belt. well things moved a bit, put it back together and it sputters and wont fire. how do i line up the marks from scratch and get it to start? where should all the marks be? thanks for the help. does the intermediate shaft position even matter in the scheme of timing on this engine.?

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Timing belt issues volvo aq 125

The intermediate shaft drives the distributor, so yes it definitely matters. There's a metal tab on the back right side of the bracket in front of the intermediate shaft, it's stainless steel and has a notch that you need to line the dot on the pulley up with. You have to look at it from the back somehow, so use a mirror or something.

All the pulleys need to be lined up to their respective marks. Don probably has the appropriate diagram to help you, or you could search for it in old posts as I'm sure it's been posted here numerous times. It's really easy once you identify all the marks on the pulleys and brackets.

madridbruce

Cadet

The intermediate shaft drives the distributor, so yes it definitely matters. There's a metal tab on the back right side of the bracket in front of the intermediate shaft, it's stainless steel and has a notch that you need to line the dot on the pulley up with. You have to look at it from the back somehow, so use a mirror or something.

All the pulleys need to be lined up to their respective marks. Don probably has the appropriate diagram to help you, or you could search for it in old posts as I'm sure it's been posted here numerous times. It's really easy once you identify all the marks on the pulleys and brackets. THANKS FOR THE REPLY, OK SO THAT WAS HELPFUL AND I DID FIND DON S LINK TO THE SERVICE MANUAL. SO THE CAM WAS AT 12 THE OTHER TWO IM AND CRSH WERE AT 2 O CLOCK IN LINE W EACH OTHER FROM WHAT I REMEMBER. IT MAY HAVE GOT OUT OF TIME BEFORE SO WHAT I WAS LOOKING AT MIGHT HAVE MADE IT RUN THEN BUT NOW IF IT WAS PUT BACK THE SAME IT SHOULD FIRE HUH?

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

what? ...

Sounds like maybe your belt jumped a tooth and the cam gear is off?

Set 'em all up pointing at the marks, then adjust the tensioner like the book says.
After that, set the timing with a timing light.

2stroke1971

Petty Officer 1st Class

And take care which way you move the motor when/after fiddling with the tensioner.... if you have a socket on the main pulley and turn the engine backwards with the belt on, the belt will jump teeth immediately.

madridbruce

Cadet

Thanks for all of the help i did just that and she runs better now then before. I had to switch out some of the hardware and rubber seals. Found all but one. The coolant resevouir goes into the heat exchanger. Ahh tried to cut one to fit guess ill have to order it. Next uhmm pait the lower drive change the impeller and u joint bellows. Probably have to do the gimbal too well any suggestions are welcome and appriciated . Happy saling