86 Evinrude 70 3 cyl wont idle when warmed up, runs great at speed

Larry3215

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've got an 86 Evinrude 70 3 cyl thats started having idle problems a while back. It liked to die when you first put it into gear but ran great at anything above idle.

Yesterday I found some air leaks around the primer hoses on the carbs and fixed that. Took it out this morning while it was still cool and it started and idled fantastically well and sounded like a new engine while we ran at low speed to get out of the harbor speed zone. Cruise and top end performance were mostly unchanged although it sounded better/smoother at cruise speeds - 4k rpm or so - than it had before.

However, after a 3 mile cruise we stopped and the idle was bad again. Not quite as bad as before but not great. It wanted to die when put in gear and was more difficult to start requiring lifting the idle-up lever more and pushing in the primer more. Over the course of the next hour it seemed to get worse and worse until I had to turn up the idle speed a lot just to keep it running at all.

It ran rough and sounded like it was only hitting on 2 cylinders.

Once it was in gear and I was able to keep it going long enough to start building up speed, it would run rough until it had speed up to maybe 3000-3500 rpm then it was like throwing a switch and all of a sudden it was running on all 3 cylinders and it took off like a shot and ran great at any speed over about 3000-3500 rpm. When slowed down it started missing again.

Im having trouble deciding if this is an ignition or carb problem. The fact that it ran great when cold leads me to think it may be a bad coil or pack that acts up when hot, but why would it run great at speed?

I plan to test spark and compression in the am then see how it runs cold again. Im hoping to at least narrow it down to see if its a heat related problem for sure or not.

Any other suggestions or ideas would be great.

Thanks!

Larry

BonairII

Commander
Re: 86 Evinrude 70 3 cyl wont idle when warmed up, runs great at speed

Sounds like you have a coil going bad. Probably acting up when it gets warm. The fact that you're only getting 3500rpm confirms that a cyl(s) aren't firing properly.....or at all.

Larry3215

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think you misunderstood me. The motor would run rough all the way up to 3000-3500 rpm but at that point it suddenly started to run perfectly. Once I got the motor past that rough running range, it would very quickly go to all the way to its normal max of 5300-5400 rpm. It was like throwing a switch which started the motor running perfectly again.

As long as I kept the rpm up above that 3000-3500 range it ran perfectly - just as it always has - with full power and very smooth. Slow down below that point and it started missing again.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds like fuel delivery to me. fuel pump, lines clogged, stuff in carb, float/needle. try pumping your primer bulb when it's acting up or did you try that already?

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let the engine run at 2000 rpm in gear for 1/2 a minute or so. Then shut the engine off and immediately take a look at the spark plugs (dry/wet/color).

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

sounds like fuel delivery to me. fuel pump, lines clogged, stuff in carb, float/needle. try pumping your primer bulb when it's acting up or did you try that already?

i agree

BonairII

Commander

Yup...maybe I did read your original post too quickly.....but then again maybe not.

Its odd that your motor "wakes up" consistently at around the same rpm. The fact that it snaps back to life makes me still think that it may be ignition related. If it were a fuel delivery issue, I'm doubting that it would correct it itself so suddenly at a certain rpm.

JMO though.

Larry3215

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the tips guys. I will run some more tests today and let you know what I find.

Larry3215

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yup...maybe I did read your original post too quickly.....but then again maybe not.

Its odd that your motor "wakes up" consistently at around the same rpm. The fact that it snaps back to life makes me still think that it may be ignition related. If it were a fuel delivery issue, I'm doubting that it would correct it itself so suddenly at a certain rpm.

JMO though.

You nailed it :)

I did a thorough look over the motor and especially the ign coils and found the #1 coil had a hair line crack. It was really hard to see. Checked the spark on all 3 with a 7/16 air gap and none of them were real strong but oddly the one with the crack had the fattest spark.

Started it up and it still ran rough but much better than it did when hot. Pulled each plug wire one at a time and found number 3 wasnt firing. Removed each coil and cleaned the grounds and all around the coils and wires. Found some ugly "stuff" inside some of the wire ends on the coils.

Cleaned all that up and tried again and #3 still wouldnt fire. Swapped the coils between 2 and 3 and now all three were firing!

Decided I had found enough reasons to get new coils and changed them all out including new wires. The plugs were already new and looked perfect.

Took it out on the water and it started perfectly, idled perfectly and ran great!. My top end rpm even went up almost 200 rpm!. Got it thoroughly warmed up and did a long cruise with several stops, long idle sessions, turning it off and re-starts. It is now perfect :D

Thanks for the help guys!!!

Larry3215

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im still a little puzzled by how it was acting before. Ive never had bad ign parts get better at higher rpms and loads. Typically its just the opposite - the engine will idle ok but run poorly at higher power levels.

I'll report back if it starts acting up again but Im sure its good to go - at least for now :)

BonairII

Commander

Glad to hear its running well now.

No idea why it fired properly at higher rpms. Maybe voltage output goes up as rpms go up...and the higher voltage was able to defeat whatever defect was inside the coil. That's just a wild guess, though.

Larry3215

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, my problem came back after just a few hours of running. Exactly the same as before.

I re-checked the spark on all 3 coils and all three jump a 7/16 gap just fine. I pulled the plug wires one at a time while running on the hose and all seem to be firing.

This was on a cold motor though. I need to repeat these tests with it warmed up.

However, one of my new coils looks like it may have a crack in it again. Ive also noticed there is a large discolored spot on the side of my Power Pack.

Is it possible for the power pack to act this way if its starting to go bad? Or could the power pack be causing coil failures?

Ive attached a couple of pics of the pack and coil.

Any ideas would be very welcome!

Thanks,

LarryWP_20130706_004.jpgWP_20130706_002.jpgWP_20130706_001.jpg

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

looks like a bad pack...

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

Yes a bad pack can take out coils.

Larry3215