Volve Penta 4.3 GXi-F cut out / won't start

c130mike

Cadet
Hi all, been reading through thread trying to find this without posting, but need some guidance...

Specs:
2006 Stingray 195LR

4.3 GXi-F

Volvo Penta outdrive SX-M

At the end of the day the boat idled for about 5 mins while i got the trailer. I put the boat slight in reverse and about 10 seconds later it cut off and beeped at me. It would crank all day, but not start. Tried cranking again when I got it home-same thing. Today- same thing. So it quit at very low RPM (had been running fine) and now cranks but won't start. I've checked fuses, but that's all so far.

When something goes wrong on the car/truck I just take it to an auto store and get the code and know what I have to work, but not sure how to go about troubleshooting this. Thx for any help, Mike

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volve Penta 4.3 GXi-F won't cut out / won't start

Do you have spark? Do the fuel pumps come on for 2 seconds when you first turn the ignition key to run?

c130mike

Cadet

Should the fuel pump come on for two seconds when I go to ignition or all the way to start (when the engine is turning)? Will I need to check with a meter or can I just have someone right by it listening? Thx!

c130mike

Cadet
Re: Volve Penta 4.3 GXi-F cut out / won't start

My buddy said to pull the wire going from the coil to the distributor cap and stick a screwdriver in it and have it touching a grounded metal and watch for arcing when I try to crank it...is this really how I should do it?

Don S

As I said turn the key to run, (not start).
You should be able to hear the pumps come on for 2 seconds when you turn the key to run (not start).

Don S

My buddy said to pull the wire going from the coil to the distributor cap and stick a screwdriver in it and have it touching a grounded metal and watch for arcing when I try to crank it...is this really how I should do it?

It won't arch if it's touching, just hold the wire about a half inch from a clean ground (no paint). You should see a bright blue/white spark.

c130mike

Cadet

Went to run about a dozen times, both my wife and I listened inches away from the fuel pump--dead silence. Could it be the relay? I checked it and it looks OK, but I don't know if it would show anything on the exterior if it were bad.

Don S

Ever worked on an engine before? Do you know how to use a DVM?

c130mike

Cadet

My neighbor's got a standard fluke meter I can borrow...will that work? I can do some standard maintenance, troubleshooting is the hard part.

Don S

Have you checked for spark yet?

c130mike

Cadet

So looks like first step is to replace the fuel pump relay? 20A fuse is good

c130mike

Cadet

I can't really check for spark tonight, it's all wet--will have to wait until after work tonight