How does the head work in a Bayliner 2452 classic?

My Bayliner 2452 classic has a head that seems to not flush when I use the pump on the right side (if your facing the head). It does get rid of the refuse, but no water from the top to flush it out. how does this work? it has not been replaced so it is the standard head that came with the boat. Sorry I dont have a pic just yet...

shrew

Lieutenant
Re: How does the head work in a Bayliner 2452 classic?

There should be a switch right there on the pump. One way is a dry flush and will just evacuate the bowl, the other way will draw in water from the seacock. This will require that the boat be in the water and the seacock open. If you have it set to 'wet' flush and you can't pump the pump, the seacock is probably closed.

Is the boat in the water?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Basically, what shrew said. It's probably a Jabsco head. With the switch/lever flipped to the left (as you face the bowl), the toilet will BOTH take in water and flush at the same time. When flipped to the right it'll only pump out.

If the head is a Jabsco (double check), the seacock is open and the toilet won't draw water IN with the lever flipped to the left, you need to rebuild or replace the pump. It's the way Jabsco pumps wear out. Replacement is easiest and will cost you $60-70. It's literally a 15-minute, non-smelly job to swap it out.

My .02

Opnine99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

had the same problem with my Jabsco .....pump repair kit and viola all is well again.

shrew - the boat is trailered, but I have not checked the Seacock when it is in the water, grant that I dont know what that is either... I will research and see if it is open or closed.

JoLin/Opnine99 - I'll check the pump too and see if that is the issue.

thanks for the responses and I'll let you all know what I find out.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

AC, look for a thru-hull on the outside of the hull below the waterline. It's probably around midship, near the keel. That's where the seacock is. You'll find the valve end of it (has a handle) on the inside of the hull in the same location. Might be under a berth, or a hatch in the cabin sole (floor).

Mine is under the cushions in the mid-berth. The valve needs to be exercised (opened and closed a few times) once in awhile so it doesn't freeze up. It's typically open when the handle is turned parallel to the direction of the hose coming off it, and closed when it's turned perpendicular to the hose direction. Hope that makes sense.