Help please! 1973 evinrude triumph 65hp

Jmed8507

Cadet
Looking for someone that is familiar with this engine or similar. Will post questions if I get a response.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Help please! 1973 evinrude triumph 65hp

Lots of folks familiar with the Johnrude triples. Post the questions and see what happens.

Jmed8507

Cadet

Bought boat\motor last weekend. Guy I bought it from said the carbs were just rebuilt, water pump changed, and was ready to put in the water. Fired it up for me and it cranked right up. Showed me the receipt for the carbs. Me and buddies take it on the water that evening. In the excitement didnt check to see it choke was set to automatic. Wouldn't fire up for us at first. Would just turn over but wouldn't hit. Thought we may have flooded it so let It sit for 5-10 min. Cranked up and we took off. Went for 3-5 min out in the water sounded good and was excited then motor bogged down and died. Got it cranked back up but would just idle. When you pressed the forward button and gave gas would bog down. Long story short continued trying to turn it over but no luck, Rescue team had to tow us in. Next morning put it on ear muffs and still wouldn't turn over. At this point I made a mistake and adjusted the carbs using a flathead on the top and bottom brass needle. Still wouldn't turn over. Uncle came later. We changed spark plugs and sprayed starting fluid in carbs and spark plug holes. Also, tried to crank without spark plugs and mist of gas came out continuously. Put plugs back in sprayed starting fluid in carbs, uncle adjusted carbs as i was turning ignition key and you could tell it helped fire it up, we took it back to the river. Wouldn't crank when we arrived. Turning over but wouldn't fire. Repeated the steps I just mentioned and it fired up. We drove it for an hour and it ran fantastic. Tried to start on ear muffs yesterday and wouldn't start again! Very frustrating because it ran so good the other day! Any advice?!? Would be greatly appreciated!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Is the choke working? Should be an electrically operated choke on a solenoid. No automatic on that motor.