Evinrude tilt rebuild question

unitedcs

Recruit
Hello all. I'm rebuilding my 89 50hp tilt trim pump and ran into a snag. I can't determine if the end of the piston rod is suppose to have 6 balls (one for each whole) or 5. Only 5 were present and the one whole that didn't have a ball also has a different plastic spring end, similar but different. Nothing I can find online shows. It just seems that there should be 6. Hopefully someone here has experience rebuilding one to these and can help

RRitt

Captain
Re: Evinrude tilt rebuild question

5 balls and one plastic plug. all six get the same spring. The balls have a pushrod that prevents them from creeping up into spring. The spring goes directly against the flat side of orange poppet. the poppet has a nipple that sticks out of piston. If the piston is raised to far then the poppet nipple pushes against cylinder cap and releases pressure. the small washer goes on shaft first, then piston, then balls, then pushrods, then springs, then sealing oring, then big washer with inner platform facing towards springs, and finally the nut. use a drop of red locktite on nut.

you are not there yet, but some of the '89 check valve seats were drilled inch instead of metric. It can be a problem if the hole in poppet seat is too big. Use a digital caliper and measure the hole drilled through center of poppet seat. If it measures over 5.36mm diameter then you may need custom built or hand matched poppets. Wash the poppet and seat thoroughly and dry test them by trying to suck air though. it needs to be 110% airtight.