The real scrap value of a pontoon boat -FYI

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently went through this process and thought i would shed some light on actual values. When i started rebuilding my first pontoon, I always in the back of my mind thought "well at least it will be worth a ton just for the aluminum". There is definitely value in the aluminum but not as much as people may or many not think.

When i drove over the scales my total weight with 2 people, my super crew f150, boat and trailer was ~9,000lbs. When i unloaded the boat and came back through the scales with towing just the trailer i was at ~7,400. My boat was a 24' Riviera Cruiser, and still had the 3/4 plywood floors in it, console, carpet, rails and fuel with about 10 gallons of old gas.

Current prices are ~$.40 cents for clean aluminum (bare metal) and ~$.15 cents for dirty (metal mixed in with other materials)

to strip the boat down to clean aluminum you would obviously need to remove the floors, which at ~75 lbs a sheet for 3/4" * 6 sheets is 450lbs alone...and remove the old gas ~7lbs a gallon * 10 = 70lbs and carpet and console and such figure there is a total of ~1,000 lbs of clean aluminum on an average 24' pontoon boat.

So 1,000lbs (if clean) * .40 cents = $400
Or 1,600lbs (dirty) * .15 cents = $240

Maybe values are different in other parts of the country but this was my experience first hand.
Though i would share this with everyone :)