another leak - alpha one gen ll

fishinrado

Petty Officer 2nd Class
well I thought I had solved the drive oil leak. I had a small amount of gear lube coming out the port water intake holes.
new to the boat late last fall so I pulled off the lower and replaced the water pump and seals, the 3 drive shaft seals below the pump, the shift shaft seal and rubbers and the qaud seal. took the boat out for several hours on Monday, no oil anywhere . went out today and happen to walk by the boat and found a good amount of oil on the ground and this time it's coming from the small hole in pic also on the port side. did i miss something or is it now the seals that the drive shaft slides into in the upper unit?. I did notice oil around that hole in the upper while inspecting it with a flashlight prior to assembly. no water in the oil prior or now in the gearcase.
Thanks for any input.....

Attachments

• leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 0

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: another leak - alpha one gen ll

Pressure test it before you put the drive back on the boat?

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class

Long shot but simple fix. Did you remember to replace the lube o ring that is just next to the water pump? It seals the connection for lube between the upper and lower.

achris

Long shot but simple fix. Did you remember to replace the lube o ring that is just next to the water pump? It seals the connection for lube between the upper and lower.

Yep, that's a good call too....

Oil leaking at the hole you're pointing at could come from...
a. Water pump base seals (you've replaced those (but that doesn't mean they are not leaking now)
b. The quad ring (smassey suggested)
c. Upper drive-shaft lower seals (in the top box)....
b. Shift shaft seal or seal carrier 'O' ring.

That's about your lot.... Until you pull the drive, drain it down and pressure test it, we're all guessing....

Chris.......

fishinrado

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks and yes I did replace the quad ring and as suggested by don S. put that in with some contact cement to hold it in place. replaced the rubber o rings and the seal carrier spring seal......will pressure test and report. my guess is the upper two seals the drive shaft fits into. but like u said , just a guess. what's the deal with replacing those? what are they actually called in case that is where the leak is coming from? I know you can see them by looking up into the housing with the lower removed but I assume they are fit from above ( lots to take apart I'm guessing) ?
or can u do it from below?
Thanks........will pressure test and report :(

achris

Need to be replaced from the top. Dis-assembly of the top housing.

fishinrado

Petty Officer 2nd Class

of course :) I'll search for a write up on the forum, pressure test and report findings.
Thanks!

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

What particular write up are you searching for?

fishinrado

Petty Officer 2nd Class

how to take apart upper unit and replace the seals......if that happens to be the case once I pressure check.
I see the write on how to pressure check. maybe make my own or buy one.

achris

Dis-assemble drive-shaft housing, in 5 easy steps.

1. Loosen and remove front cover (using Merc special tool)
2. Pull uni joint bearings and drive gear assembly from housing
3. Remove top cover screws and remove top cover.
4. Lift upper drive-shaft and driven gear out of housing.
5. Remove lower seals.

Chris.........

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

how to take apart upper unit and replace the seals......if that happens to be the case once I pressure check.
I see the write on how to pressure check. maybe make my own or buy one.
Best advice is to use the "right" service manual, supplemented by the sage of advice of the "Oracle" and "Supreme Mariner" on here. The pressure tester is fun to build and fun to use (at least it was for me!)

achris

Best advice is to use the "right" service manual, supplemented by the sage of advice of the "Oracle" and "Supreme Mariner" on here. The pressure tester is fun to build and fun to use (at least it was for me!)

Sick puppy... :facepalm: ;)

fishinrado

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well I got out my air compressor and rigged up a simple deal and pressure tested the lower unit. I had soap bubbles coming up from the back side of the shift shaft housing. removal revealed that the rubber seal underneath the housing, that the shift shaft goes into, was torn in half. I must have over tightened the two bolts of the housing. replaced and ran secondary pressure test - no leaks. back together and heading to the lake in a few days and will report.
I water tested in drive with muffs and didn't' have any oil coming out anywhere so hope fully this issue is solved!