Fuel and oil OMC 3.0 >

Vertigo

Seaman Apprentice
I just purchased an inboard, OMC 3.0 L. Can someone tell me the proper fuel and what type of oil to use? I am assuming that because it is basically a car engine that I would use standard oil, but I figure better safe than sorry. And that you do not mix the oil in fuel tank.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fuel and oil OMC 3.0 >

Any gas station pump fuel but premium is best to prevent spark knock (detonation). Oil - any brand SAE 30, straight 30 weight, I prefer Mobil or Pennzoil. No mix oil in fuel. You should also be concerned with lower unit oil / lube. You didn't mention what drive you have but if it's a cobra, look here:gear lube.jpg

Vertigo

Seaman Apprentice

Outstanding and it is a Cobra bottom end and thanks. Does anyone know where I can find a manual for a 1992 Forester and the OMC Cobra, same year?

bonzoscott

What a coincidence! My boat is a Forester as well! I think that MFG lasted only two - three years. However, mine is 1990 w/4.3 liter motor. I will be searching for manual/s too, but for a tip, locate your model and serial numbers for the engine and drive. The drive was pretty easy (little aluminum tag) but I still haven't found my engine model. As stated before, it's a 1990 boat I bought new in the fall of '89. But I am fairly confident it is '89 motor because it has points. Right about '90 is when they switched to CDI ignitions and mine was a left over I guess. I selected this Forester at the time because all of the specs I researched, it had the most HP, least weight for the least $. 205HP - 2100 lbs, ~$12500. Anyway, once you know what motor / year is, should be able to pic up off Ebay. Or maybe one of the pros here will chime in with a source.

Levinz11

FSM link. 88 megs. NOt sure the year but my boats an 88' and this has helped me immensely. My Files

Forrester

Recruit

What a coincidence! My boat is a Forester as well! I think that MFG lasted only two - three years. However, mine is 1990 w/4.3 liter motor. I will be searching for manual/s too, but for a tip, locate your model and serial numbers for the engine and drive. The drive was pretty easy (little aluminum tag) but I still haven't found my engine model. As stated before, it's a 1990 boat I bought new in the fall of '89. But I am fairly confident it is '89 motor because it has points. Right about '90 is when they switched to CDI ignitions and mine was a left over I guess. I selected this Forester at the time because all of the specs I researched, it had the most HP, least weight for the least $. 205HP - 2100 lbs, ~$12500. Anyway, once you know what motor / year is, should be able to pic up off Ebay. Or maybe one of the pros here will chime in with a source.

Hi guys I am new to this forum but I as well have a 1992 Forrester Diva 1800 GT with a 3.0 cobra with cobra sterndrive... I am quite thankfull to finally run into someone else with this same manufacturer.. i love this boat and so does everyone else i come across.. such clean lines, they really are a beautiful boat.. I was beggining to wonder if there were any other forrester owners in this world.. The 3.0 cobra is a little light out of the hole but hummes along fine at speed.. I have trying to get a little better hole shot without changing the prop.. My preticulat model is the 3.0 ho and is rated at 140 hp with the holly 2barrel.. any tips or tricks..? i had the carb rebult last year which helped but she isnt quite there yet.. Thanx and again nice to meet fellow forresters..!!

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I run a mixture of 87 & 89 octane. The 89 will help to avoid run on. Oil is SAE straight 30 like someone else posted. Stay away from multi weights such as 10w30.

Forrester

Recruit

Outstanding and it is a Cobra bottom end and thanks. Does anyone know where I can find a manual for a 1992 Forester and the OMC Cobra, same year?

I found my manuel on ebay.. It is the factery manuel and is in very good shape.. the price wasnt bad either..

buy your manuel off iboats.com. Thats where i got mine, It was like 25 bucks came in 2 days.