302 to 305

DMEI

Recruit
I bought a boat knowing it had a cracked block. I swapped a 4.3 before, easy, easy to get parts for. This is proving to be a whole lot more difficult. Anybody know how difficult it would be to put a 305 in there instead of the 302? It'll be mating to a OMC Cobra. EDIT

Thanks
Sean

Last edited by a moderator:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 302 to 305

You are trying to swap from a Ford to a Chevy. Ford has not been used by Merc since the 70's. You will need everything, it is not an easy or inexpensive change.

DMEI

Recruit

You are trying to swap from a Ford to a Chevy. Ford has not been used by Merc since the 70's. You will need everything, it is not an easy or inexpensive change.

I figured it'd be all or nothing. I just cant even find a new intake manifold for the thing, and then theres the needing a new block part too. So, I would need a complete 305, wiring harness, all bolt ons, but the part thats got me wondering is would the coupler work? Also, how bad do you think the wiring would be? It had a maybe 10 pin or so round plug.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No, the coupler won't work, the exhaust, ignition, fuel system, nothing will work.

eeure

Cadet

Have you found a replacement motor. If not I pulled a very good 302 HO complete ready to drop and run this was set up and running an omc out drive I replaced it with an Volvo out drive and a 454 motor. If you are contact me.