Larson DC-215 on EZ Loader Trailer - Is this safe?

eahheretik

Recruit
Hi folks,

I'm hoping some of you friendly folks here on iboats can help me with a trailer question. I am trying to determine if this trailer is capable of driving this boat from New York to Connecticut.

With a fresh pair of tires and some greased bearings, I am optimistic that this trailer is potentially road worthy. However I defer to the collective wisdom of this boating community to help me answer this question.

Boat: Larson DC-215 (2560 pounds dry), 21 feet long
Trailer: EZ Loader, Unknown Weight Capacity, at least 21 feet long
boat_1.jpg

boat_2.jpg

trailer_1.jpg

trailer_2.jpg

NOTE: I intend to replace the tires (obviously).

Thanks in advance!

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Re: Larson DC-215 on EZ Loader Trailer - Is this safe?

As high as the freeboard is on that boat, a single axle trailer is not ideal. Dual axle would be much more stable, less sway and safer. It might make the journey, but I am leary.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Based on the info provided......................................

I have no idea...

That trailer could have a weight rating anywhere from 1500-3000 lbs and the boat could have an actual weight from @ 2800-3800 lbs.

Honestly that boat belongs on a tandem trailer....

Last looking at the photos there looks to be quite a bit of rust on the trailer.. it MAY be FAR worse than it looks... need to do a hammer test every couple inches on the bottom of every part.. you MAY find that the hammer goes through.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

That would not fly with me, no.

To much boat not enough trailer.

greekfreek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a trailer just like that, with a 2200 lb boat on it... It cracked in the middle of the rear cross bar and I had it plated and welded. I would check all the cross braces very carefully along with rest of the the frame. Pull it out and check it over.. Good luck..

jc turtle

Seaman

Hi, You should call your insurance co, so they can tell you the gvw of the trailer.
I have always had a beef with the trailer manufacturers because their vin tags
fade out quickly, long before the trailer is retired. Check it out, John

ToemanDoug

Cadet

I'd be apprehensive...but that's just me. The forward fender support on the port side is bent downward. Is that from rust? Excessive load? Combination of the two? If it's rust, I'd be skeptical of more rust / less structure.

A trailer carrying that much boat really should have brakes. (May even be a legal requirement) A large enough tow vehicle can hide this for a short / one-time trip, but I don't recommend it.

You can / should start by ensuring that the axle was originally intended for the weight of the boat and trailer. If the wheel bearing ID's are 1 3/8" and 1 1/16" then it is a 3500 # axle. Anything smaller, and the axle is not capable of supporting the load. If the axle is correct for the load by design, then the rust is the next factor to look at.

Where in NY?

Perhaps a veteran iBoater can inspect with you and educate you.....