Starter does not fully engage

twedd

Recruit
1973 65HP 3 cylinder, new to me. I found starter gears grinding due to stripped bolt on starter-no big deal I can handle that. Question is: should the gear fully engage the flywheel? it only engages about 50% and the wear pattern on the fly wheel only covers half the teeth. The starter that is on there can't possibly fully engage, Im worried that if I replace the gear and fix the stripped bolt that it still won't fully engage and will fail prematurely. If it needs to fully engage then I think I may have the wrong starter and need to replace the entire starter. Any input?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter does not fully engage

I can't speak for that particular model motor, but I can say that there are some where the gears do not fully engage. Especially those with thick flywheel gears. Perhaps somebody here with your same model can look at theirs.

twedd

Recruit
Re: Starter does not fully engage

Thanks- I'm new to outboards, but i would say this is a thick flywheel. the wear pattern looks like this has been going on for a while, but the flywheel teeth still look good. the starter gear is worn petty badly though. Think I'll try the gear first and see how she does. Thanks for your time!