7.5 johnson seahorse

Mschramm08

Cadet
I seem to be having an issue getting spark on my bottom cylinder of my 1957 Johnson seahorse 7.5 HP. I've put a new ignition coil and new sparkplug wire. I've hot nice strong spark on the top but can't seem to figure out what's going on with the bottom. Any help is greatly appreciated.

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 7.5 johnson seahorse

did you twist the plug wire into the coil or just push it in, are you sure the clip for the sparkplug is making good contact with the new plugwire? are the wires from the coil tucked back away from the rotating parts under the flywheel? ....make sure there is no chance of chaffing. clean the points spotless clean, the tiniest amount of oil residue etc can limit or totally keep it from sparking. and finally, it could be a bad condensor, a bit rare but a cheap part to replace.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I always first assume a dirty points set. Run wet/dry through them, around 400 grit folded in half. Blast with compressed air. Then dip business card or clean paper in acetone and run that through. Paper that wont leave fibers is best. Now try.

Mschramm08

Cadet

Plug wires are clear under the flywheel, good contact on both ends of the plug wire itself, I'm leaning towards the dirty points. I'll clean them up good tomorrow morning and let y'all know how I make out. Thanks for the advice.

Mschramm08

Cadet

Thanks again guys that did the trick...quick buff on both points with the 400G some air and acetone and she's sparking good now!