Can't get the lower end back on!!

sambluckie

Cadet
Guys, I am having a heck of a time with this. Removed the lower end to replace the gimbal bearing. That went well. I have an alignment tool and that seems to check out OK. I just can't get the lower unit to slide back in to place. Could the cross U joints be causing the problem. I read something earlier today that states that good U joints should hold the drive shaft relatively straight when unsupported. My U joints are like overcooked spaghetti! The last time I removed the unit, it took several hours and many choice words to get it back on. Any ideas?
By the way, this is on the Wellcraft.

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Can't get the lower end back on!!

How far are you able to get the drive in? Make sure the boat and drive are both in forward and the shifter on the drive lines up with the guide on the gimbal housing (i've bent a few in frustration). If the alignment is good and everything lines up she should slide right in. try tuning the prop a hair while pushing the drive in. Sometimes the teeth on the spline an in the coupler need to be alignned.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Yes...sounds like we need a bit more info on what you are encountering. Having the shifter in FWD is a must (the shift lever in the boat as well as the shift shaft on the drive). Holding the prop CCW (i.e. with a bungie cord) also is needed....and if you need to turn the prop a bit to line up the splines, turn it CCW...,that way the shifter stays in FWD. Mate it up slowly and ensure your shift fork (end of shift cable) is properly engaging the roller on the shiftshaft. Without proper "aids" it is generally best with two people.

By the way.... when you refer to "lower end" we all are probably assuming you mean the whole outdrive. The outdrive consists of a lower end and an upper end, mated together to form the unit. The upper end contains the driveshaft and u-joints You are having problems with.
Good luck and let us know how you are doing! And have fun!

sambluckie

Cadet

Sorry, it is the outdrive. Just a little frustrated and not thinking clearly. The first thing I did was put it in forward gear and I have been keeping a close eye on the little shifter paddle. I know when it is out of position when there is no resistance when I turn the prop CCW. I can get it to where the threads are about to go in the outdrive holes. I can get the alignment tool to slide in and rotate with minimal effort. What concerns me is the limpness and play in the U joints. What I would call a CV joint just falls rubs on the housing and bellows when I insert it. I had the same problem last year when I replaced the bellows.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

As soon as you get the drive shaft splines into the gimbal bearing, it pretty much lines itself up for full insertion (just need to make sure the splines line up after that). Some folks have problems with too much grease on the drive shaft O-rings. Just a very light smear is all you need there....more than that and it can bind.
Also....make sure your large bell-housing O-ring (square cross-section O-ring) is properly glued in place in the correct position. If it is not in the right place, it will interfere with the O/D driveshaft retainer nut castles.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I can get it to where the threads are about to go in the outdrive holes.

At that point, if I can recall correctly, the driveshaft is just entering the coupler. You are probably just hitting the edge of the hole. With it as far in as it will go, get into the boat and reach behind the engine to see if you can feel the end of the driveshaft and if it is going into the coupler. A second person would be a big help. I have the same "limp" U-joints and you can get a little bit of misalignment as you push the outdrive back on.

airshot

Rear Admiral

Those limp U-joints mean that they are free and well lubed as they should be. Have the same problem on my alpha one, I have found
that rotating the u-joints until they stay halfway straight makes it go in easier. If those joints flex a little they cause a bind, if only I had smaller fingers to help?? A second person pulling on the shaft does make it easier as the joints will stay straighter. So lets see if we have this understood correctly....having a helper pull on your shaft will make your unit sldie in easier....I think we have it..

Airshot

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Put some oil (not grease) on the 2 orings on the ujoint shaft. Then a bit of a bump from your foot on the back of the drive will push those new orings into the gimbal bearing.

sambluckie

Cadet

I finally got the otdrive back on!! I went out the next day with a fresh attitude and it went right in place. I guess the stars, planets and splines were in perfect alignment. Rolled it out in the driveway, hooked up the muffs and fired it up. Purred like a kitten! Thanks everyone for the help and encouragement. I was getting a little frustrated with it.