89 Evinrude 150 XP What tool to get flywheel off

brusk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Last year I needed a new stator and remember trying just a simple steering wheel puller that easily bent so I said screw it and took it to a shop to do. They didn't get something right so I need to pull it apart and test/check everything. What should I buy that will do the job.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: 89 Evinrude 150 XP What tool to get flywheel off

Your dealer can order you the factory flywheel puller kit or just the basic puller parts for your engine.

brusk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So they aren't normally supposed to be on that tight I guess. I'll pick up another harbor freight puller and try it again, maybe since it was recently off it will come off with little resistance.

So they aren't normally supposed to be on that tight I guess.

They can be a downright pain in the ***** to get off. What I've done is to get the puller tightened to the point that it's applying as much force as you feel comfortable with. Then I place a 2x4 against the underside of the flywheel and apply a firm tap to the 2x4 with a large hammer. I'll rotate the flywheel about 1/3 turn, hold the 2x4 against the bottom of the flywheel and apply a firm tap again, and repeat until the flywheel comes loose. You don't want to get too exuberant with the taps, too much could damage the flywheel magnets.

maybe since it was recently off it will come off with little resistance.

Well, there are no guarantees. You might just get lucky.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Once you get the 3-legged puller mounted, torque it on well. Then give the large center bolt a good rap with a hammer. Should pop off.

brusk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Once you get the 3-legged puller mounted, torque it on well. Then give the large center bolt a good rap with a hammer. Should pop off.

Thats what I tried last time. I went last night and got another puller from harbor freight. This one looks a little heavier duty than the last one.

What is the bolt size? Searching shows 1/4 - 20 bolts but not sure if that was right for every engine. Also they recommended grade 8 which seemed a little excessive to me or will the chinese made "Grade 5" bolts that came in the kit be good enough?

rothfm

Ensign

took a couple nights for mine to pop off. I gradually kept retorquing the puller. It popped on the second nite at 4am, kinda startled us (the Mrs wasnt happy to be woken up by my motor in the next room!! Use patience and persistance, tap a little here and there...it will pop.