1961 3hp evinrude tune up questions

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good morning! I am in process of tuning up my little new to me 3hp rude, 1961 model. I have cleaned the carb pretty well and it still has a hard time idleing, sounds like it is switching between being happy on both cylinders to running on one every couple seconds.

So with that being said I have decided to look at the points and coils. Before doing so I checked spark. PLENTY of it. Jumps a large gap.

I have taken off the tank and side covers and am trying to take off the flywheel, do I need to mark where it is currently for timing purposes? of does it only go on one way? Also I managed to get the bolt off easily, but do I need a puller for the actual flywheel and if so where can I get one? Can i borrow one from the auto parts store?

I thank you all ahead of time for the anwsers. Looking forward to getting this thing running right!

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1961 3hp evinrude tune up questions

HI Triangle. No need to make any marks on the flywheel. The timing on these old motors is set by proper placement of the flywheel. You should use a proper flywheel (aka harmonic balancer puller) along with GRADE 8 bolts and washers. You should be able to rent/borrow one from most autoparts stores, but they're only about $20 to buy and well worth the investment. Here's a great link that can walk you through a tune up from top to bottom. You can get any routine parts you may need right here at iboats.

3 HP Evinrude Lightwin Ignition System Tune-Up 1952-1967

flywheel puller.jpgflywheel puller.jpg