Tilt Motor

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer
Okay so I have been running my 1970 Bayliner with a 125 HP Merc Cruiser motor and the Original owner recommend me always top off the tilt pump with ATF for Ford/Merc motors using a siphon pump, etc. So anyways I didn't notice the first time out but the second time out today for like a hour when I pulled my bilge plug out came some of that fluid, red in color which matches the transmission fluid being used in the bilge pump fill area. Can anyone explain to me whey the pump would be leaking oil into my bilge? And is it normal to have to fill it up or put oil in it every time you go out?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tilt Motor

No. Check for a broken or loose oil line somewhere.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... You've No doubt got a Leak,...

Fillin' the pump should be a Once in a long time thing.... Like after a repair...

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

I always check the lines right at the pump first. The seem to come loose,usually from someone stowing stuff near the pump and bumping against them. If not loose,you have a leaky line.
Grub

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

I always check the lines right at the pump first. The seem to come loose,usually from someone stowing stuff near the pump and bumping against them. If not loose,you have a leaky line.
Grub

And these lines for the tilt pump will be connected to pump obviously and they run where after that? Anything specific to the type of line I should be looking for?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The trim hoses from the pump eventually go to the trim cylinders (outside the boat) through a manifold on the bottom of the gimbal housing. No doubt the lines going to that manifold inside the boat are leaking.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Trim Hose Replace.jpg
    Trim Hose Replace.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 0

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all this info and those detailed photos! I will bring boat out of storage today park in my driveway and have at it to discover anything loose, broken or beyond repair and just needs replaced!

I knew old guy I bought boat from was decent guy but he wasn't a mechanic so for him to say he always adds fluid before going out didn't make sense! Also I know he said that his mechanic replaced those hoses coming from trim manifold to cylinder with beaded steel lines! Any chance the mechanic then didn't hook something up correctly? Or forgot a gasket!? We shall see. No leaks outside boat just into bilge.