!965 water in the gear case?

abreen89

Cadet
I am working on a 1965 5hp evinrude angler. Today after running it in the tank for about 25 minutes then draining the oil i noticed it was really milky meaning water in the gear case. Question: how does it get there? I understand the main seal that seals the gear case from the water pump housing but is there any other ways water can work in? The seal looks fine but im going to replace it anyways. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: !965 water in the gear case?

Prop shaft/ drain plugs and shift shaft(if yours has one)
Check your driveshaft isnt too pitted where the seal sits.
I top some up pits up with epoxy and sand it down to level if its in a bad shape there

abreen89

Cadet

Prop shaft/ drain plugs and shift shaft(if yours has one)
Check your driveshaft isnt too pitted where the seal sits.
I top some up pits up with epoxy and sand it down to level if its in a bad shape there

no shift shaft on the 5hp. By prop shaft do you mean the o ring on the prop. unit? Sorry new to outboards just trying to figure it all out.
Thanks!

Bosunsmate

Admiral

hey ask what you like, everyone here started out at the begiining wondering what all these parts are for.
Yes the o ring and there also looks like a seal in the housing just in front of it too part number 0310328
You might need to get that matched up at a engineering place if you cant get a replacement. Those seals get easily damaged by fishing line

kfa4303

Banned

Hi abreen. Water gets into the gearcase due to leaky oil seals and/or worn crush washers. Thankfully, these old Johnsons use stainless steel driveshafts and propshafts so they almost never have pitting, but the seals can still wear out over time. Thankfully, replacing them is a fairly simple DIY job and you can get a reseal kit right here at iboats for about $25 and a tube of 3M 847 gasket sealant. Here are some handy links. They may be for slightly different modes, but all of the steps and techniques are the same for mots vintage OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) motors.

1965 Evinrude 5503 5 hp Outboard Motor Parts (parts catalog with exploded diagrams)
HOW TO PULL SEALS FROM LOWER UNITS - YouTube

abreen89

Cadet

Hi abreen. Water gets into the gearcase due to leaky oil seals and/or worn crush washers. Thankfully, these old Johnsons use stainless steel driveshafts and propshafts so they almost never have pitting, but the seals can still wear out over time. Thankfully, replacing them is a fairly simple DIY job and you can get a reseal kit right here at iboats for about $25 and a tube of 3M 847 gasket sealant. Here are some handy links. They may be for slightly different modes, but all of the steps and techniques are the same for mots vintage OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) motors.

1965 Evinrude 5503 5 hp Outboard Motor Parts (parts catalog with exploded diagrams)
HOW TO PULL SEALS FROM LOWER UNITS - YouTube

Awesome that is great information. So the only seals i should be focusing on are #28 and #20 right here :Evinrude Gearcase Group Parts for 1965 5hp 5502 Outboard Motor
I already got new ones for the the oil plugs.

kfa4303

Banned

Based on the diagram, it looks like you only have two actual oil seals (#4 and#20) and several o-rings (#3, #28). They usually come together in a complete kit, but you may have to order them separately. The old seals should lever right out. However, they can be stubborn, so you may have to snip/clip them out carefully. Also be sure you don't damage their soft, aluminum housing

abreen89

Cadet

Okay in installing a new drive shaft oil seal ive ran into a question. The old seal seemed to seat flush with the housing. But with the new seal it can either sit flush or should i seat it all the way until it wont go in anymore? Thanks

kfa4303

Banned

I would seat the seal lightly. It's not uncommon for the replacement seals to have a slightly different thickness. Most folks use a socket of equal, or slightly smaller size to apply force evenly along the rim of the seal itself. You'll want to put a bit of gasket sealant around the perimeter of the seal as well. 3M 847 is the factory recommendation, but you lots of folks use Prematex Ultra Black, or other similar products.

abreen89

Cadet

I would seat the seal lightly. It's not uncommon for the replacement seals to have a slightly different thickness. Most folks use a socket of equal, or slightly smaller size to apply force evenly along the rim of the seal itself. You'll want to put a bit of gasket sealant around the perimeter of the seal as well. 3M 847 is the factory recommendation, but you lots of folks use Prematex Ultra Black, or other similar products.

Alright Great ill give that a try!