Future new boater with questions

radiousrod

Cadet
Hey all. I'm new to the forums and just wanted to say hello first off. Just recently moved to Cornwall Ontario Which the beautiful st lawerence river runs through. Very close to the 1000 island region of the st lawerence. I have never owned a boat and have minimal experience on the water. Recently a friend took me on a tour of the 1000 islands in his little fishing boat. I'm in love now. The scenery and peacefulness was incredible. Not to mention the fishing is awesome. Anyways now I want to own my first boat. Can anyone point me in the direction of what are the major things to look for when purchasing a used boat. I've worked on cars my whole life and have been fabricating racecars for about 15 years now. Definitely not an expert on boats but I know my way the shop and with engines. What I'm interested in is a small bowrider. Before I go out and buy a brand new boat I think I will try my hand in a reasonably priced older boat just to make sure I'm happy with what I'm getting into before making a large investment on a new boat. I looked through the forum rules and didn't see anything about posting links to adverts for boats for sale. I have a few I have my eye on and I'm wondering if I post the links I could get some opinions on the boat and engines and what to look for. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If posting links isn't the right way to go about please tell me what is the right avenue to take.
Thanks for you time.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Future new boater with questions

A bow rider would not be my choice for the St Lawrence and would not be considered if there was a chance of seeing the Great Lakes...

C.O.L.

Seaman Apprentice

I would maybe do a bigger DEEP-V fish and ski boat. Something that can handle big waves that could be kicked up from a flash storm. You never know what you could get stuck in.

radiousrod

Cadet

This is more of what I'm talking about. The river is extremely wide at this point. I'm sorry it's the only portion of it that in familiar with. I'm sure in some spots of the river a bowrider would not be sufficient or safe. image.jpg

saumon

Lieutenant

Boat choice will be dictated by the planned use. What do you want to do: cruise with the family, skiing, tubing or fishing?

I boat in a really similar place (St. Lawrence downstream in the Montreal area) and the most versatile, no brainer, bullet-proof rig if you're mainly into fishing but also want to do some cruising/tubing is a 16'-18' aluminum side or double console deep-v boat with a 60-115hp outboard, a 17' with a 90hp being ideal. You would have a lot of room for 2 or 3 guys to fish or for 2 adults and 2-3 kids to cruise around.

In the St. Lawrence, a 4-8hp kicker is a must as a "get home" safety considering the current.

As an example, here's my previous boat, a 1993 Tracker Pro Deep-V 17 that I had for 10 years, but there's a lot of other (and sometimes better) brands, like Lund, Crestliner and Starcraft...I sometimes miss it when it's time to beach on a rocky shore :blue:.

1100.jpg

254.jpg

...and, yes, you could post links to the ads. We love to shop with someone's else money! :laugh:

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Now you are talking-- a Lund Baron with the 4 cyl I/O and a 25 HP kicker! Best tin boat ever made and it will handle wakes from the commercial traffic and most days on Lake Ontario.

radiousrod

Cadet

Thanks saumon. I will take your suggestions into consideration. It will mostly get used to cruising around and pulling a tube with the occasional fishing rod over the side. I still think a bowrider would better suit what I'm looking for and want to spend. I don't know the cost of what you guys have suggested by I seem to be able to find a bunch of late 80 to early 90 bowriders for in between 2500 to 3500. Remember guys this wont get used much. I'm really wanting to know if there manufactures I should stay away from and what to look for. I'll post some links to a few boats I've been looking at and maybe you guys can give me some advice on quality and reliability and price.

Mi duckdown

Commander

2500 to 3500 bucks. I would be looking for an aluminun boat.??? And you get don't get much for that price

saumon

Lieutenant

Hey, you're shopping right in my area! Up here, prices are on the high side and, for a first boat, I'd definately look for an aluminum boat, mainly because they don't rot. A 25-30 years bowrider, made of fiberglass, has a lot of wood inside and not all but a lot of them, in that price range, may/will have soft spots in deck, rotted stringers and spongy transoms. You could use the search function here and look for "rot"; you'll have enough reading for a decade! That kind of work could be done but not easily and I won't define it as pleasant first experience with boats...

For that reason, aluminum boats better hold their value. As an example, I bought the boat pictured above (a 1993) in 2002 for $7400 and sell it 10 years later, in 2012, for $6500. I've redone the deck and rebuilt the engine over the years but they're easy to work with. So, for something in good condition, I'd say you'll need to check in the $6000-$8000 price range...

However, in the $2500-$3500 price range and for an occasionnal use as a first boat, a bowrider will be ok. If you plan to resell it in a couple of years, granted you like boating, you could probably get what you pay for it. In that years range, brand mean nothing but condition does. Cadorette, a local company, like Bayliners are considered entry-level boat but I'd take one of those freswater used, trailered, garage kept over, let's say, a neglected, left in the elements 30 years Cobalt any day.

In the links you posted, I'd choose the first one if the condition (boat and outboard) is ok. Remember that a water trial is mandatory and don't rely on what the seller say. Bring someone who know boats with you and don't forgot to have a look in the ski locker. I'd forget the second, because of the Force engine, and the third with the 40hp is underpowered. You won't like the ride of the fourth in any chop and the lower unit looks neglected. As for the fifth, it's only 15' and no pics of the interior...

tpenfield

Staff member

Welcome to iBoats . . .

Take a boating safety course first and look at lots of boats. Also, check out the restoration forum for the things that can be wrong with boats in terms of structure, etc. You will most likely be dealing with those possibilities considering the price range and associated age of boats that you will be looking at.

I test drove a boat last year in the Clayton, NY area. It was a bit windy that day and the chop was kicking up pretty good. So, maybe check conditions of the waters you will be boating on various days to see what the wave action will typically be, and then buy accordingly.

radiousrod

Cadet

Thanks for all the help guys. I've been looking into the boating course as I will still need to get an operators license. Saumon thanks so much for all the info your sharing. I've been looking in the Montreal area because I work on the south shore close to ste Julie. I have about 5000 set aside for the summer, I was figuring if I could pick something up for about 3500 and use what's left over for doing some maintenance and whatever else I might need to get on the water. I really would like to use it for the summer and sell it at the end of the year and if I'm enjoying it I would take the plunge and buy a fairly new boat for the following season. I can only see me having a handful of days this where I could actually be out on the water. That's a big reason I don't want to make a large investment right away. If you run across anything for sale in our area saumon that you think would be decent for me let me know if you can. Ill keep looking around to see what's available and will indeed consider every suggestion and advice everyone has given.
Thanks again Kevin.

saumon

Lieutenant

I have about 5000 set aside for the summer, I was figuring if I could pick something up for about 3500 and use what's left over for doing some maintenance and whatever else I might need to get on the water. I really would like to use it for the summer and sell it at the end of the year and if I'm enjoying it I would take the plunge and buy a fairly new boat for the following season.

Not knowing if you'll like it or not, this is a wise approach, as is the "emergency reserve" funds.

littlerayray

Lieutenant

hey radious im from cornwall and i boat mostly below the damn i launch my boat for free at lamoureux parc i have an 18 foot bowrider and it is fine let me know what you want to look at and maybe i can helps ya good luck on your quest

radiousrod

Cadet

Hey thanks Ray. That's the spot I'm talking about. Thanks for the offer, If I can find something locally ill take you up on that. I know exactly the ramp your talking about. I've been down to the river numerous times and I'm definitely looking forward to getting explore the area on the water.

littlerayray

Lieutenant

you wont be happy with fifteen foot look for at least a 18 foot bowrider
i know you dont want to but go see Sue at Raisin River Marine she got me into my boat real fast and you might find what you are looking for here is their website Raisin River Marine LTD