Trolling motor wiring

I have a 92 bass buggy 18 with a 40hp Johnson tracker outboard. I bought it new in 91 and its been a fantastic boat! I have a 40lb thrust trolling motor on it but it struggles on a windy day. But I have just acquired a 75lb thrust trolling motor I want to put on it. The new trolling motor is 24VDC and is recommended to use 6 gauge wire with a 50 amp fuseable link. The boat is wired from factory for the trolling motor but I checked the size of wire and fuseable link thinking it maybe to small. I couldn't find any markings on the wire itself (what I could see anyway since most of the wire is inside the main wire loom that leads to the bow) but what I did find is that the markings on the fuseable link is 32V 40A. The wire is a little bigger than the diameter of an ink pen and the bow plug is 3 prong. It is possible the wire maybe 6 gauge but I am thinking it maybe 8 gauge. I have tried to search for info on the wiring system but didn't find much helpful info. Question is, would it support that big of a trolling motor or should I upgrade it?

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trolling motor wiring

If you have a dial micrometer you can measure the conductor and determine the gauge. 6 gauge is 0.1620 inches diameter. 8 gauge is 0.1285 inches.

While that may sound like a small difference it means the area of the conductor cross section of 8 gauge is only 63% of 6 gauge