79 johnson seahorse 70 choke problem?

hello all. i am fairly new to boats. last time i was on one was back in 02 when i was just 11. now i own that boat and am 21 lol. it has a johnson seashorse 70 outboard made in 1979. it has sat since 2005 and i could not get it started up. so i checked the ignition and everything works electrically (spark plugs get spark) and gas is getting to the cyliders. so i have the bright idea to choke it manually at the engine and the thing fires right up albiet roughly (obviously how long it sat.) and i let it run for about 15 minutes before shutting off. nothing wierd happened while it ran. but heres the thing, i can ONLY get it to start when it is choked at the helm AND at the motor manually. like i said i am fairly new to boats and working on them so i need some direction. when you choke it at the helm visibly everything that should move on the motor moves. i do not know what to do. i want to fix this before i take it out on the water. and sorry for my punctuation and spelling. been a long day at work and i just dont care lol.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 79 johnson seahorse 70 choke problem?

Remove the carburetor faceplate so you can observe the choke butterflies. With the key in the RUN or START position, do the choke butterflies slam shut when you push the key in to engage the choke solenoid?

Re: 79 johnson seahorse 70 choke problem?

Yes. It is working now it lOoks like things were just gummed up from sitting for so long. But the next problem is when it is running In idle. I'll let it run with the ear muffs on for about 10-20 minutes and it will idle high for about 4-5 seconds then idle low for 4-5 seconds and repeat any number of times before idling so low it stalls. I have a couple of fuel lines unclamped that I need to reclamp and a small kink in a line I am fixing after work. My father says the muffs aren't made for running the motor continuously and it is heating up to much and causing a vapor lock in the gas lines. Besides those what should I look fo?