Is hull paint necessary?

trezmartin

Cadet
I'm in the process of purchasing a used Sea Ray Sundeck. The previous owner kept the boat on a trailer and used it infrequently in the Chesapeake. I plan on keeping the boat docked near Woodbridge on the Potomac River. The boat does not have hull paint, it's clean fiberglass. I've heard that if you keep the boat in the water at a slip that you need to get the hull painted in order to prevent barnacles and the like from ruining the hull. Does this apply to fresh water too? I'm wondering if its necessary if I keep the boat in the Potomac. I've also heard that painting the hull is bad for the resale value of the boat, as some purchasers prefer the boat in its original condition.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Is hull paint necessary?

not necessary in fresh water BUT you will likely have to work harder to get it clean each time you pull it out.
Also you are correct that it can be easier to sell if it doesn't have a painted bottom if you are selling to a fresh water boater.

ImRich

Recruit

I keep my 27 ft boat in fresh water (a lake). By the end of one season it has a brown scum all over the bottom.

At first I wondered if I should bottom paint the hull so as not to have to deal with this problem in the fall.

But then I was told about the product 'On Off Hull Cleaner' and tried it.

Wow, it was easy to use! I used a garden sprayer to spray on the 'On Off', waited 10 minutes, and lightly brushed then hosed it off. After seeing how easy this is to do, I wouldn't bother with the expense of bottom paint. It truely was an easy job.

Be sure to read the instructions and don't breathe in this stuff, it's a type of strong acid, but it sure worked well for me.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

yes, you need bottom paint.
Woodbridge is tidal so it is not "fresh" like a lake or river, so forget that advice.

When it comes to which bottom paint, the ONLY advice is local advice. You need to talk to your marina, not even I down the bay can help you.

Forget about resale value. it's not an investment, it's a consumable commodity. People on the coast don't even blink if there's paint.

Your first paint job will require more work and $$ since you have a virgin bottom, but again, get your locals to tell you what base to use.

Also look into whether your paint has to stay in the water or if it can go in and out; you may find you store the boat on the trailer over the winter or during storms.