Canvas: color verses heat index.

John20

Recruit
Obviously the darker the cabin tent canvas is, the hotter it is. But.....enough to matter?
It seems that most people suggest a dark color to help with esthetics, mold and such.
I live in south Florida. I have a white top now, would hate to put a navy blue on and realize a temp increase.
The installer also suggested a blue outer color with a white inside color. I don't like that idea because heat from out and glare inside, doesn't sound like a good idea? Idk.

What do you guys think? Tks for your help. :)

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Canvas: color verses heat index.

Pretty sure nobody has ever done a test inside a boat before, but... Mythbusters did measure identical white and black cars on a sanfrancisco afternoon. Don't remember the exact numbers, but there was about 10-15 degrees difference between them. (something like 138 vs 125 or so.)

One other thing to consider, dark colors will fade out faster.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Old boat had a light grey Bimini.... felt like lots of light shining thru. Bought a black Bimini and feels more shaded underneath. But it is definitely hotter to the touch! If I had an enclosure... I would imagine it would be hotter inside.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Fade will depend on the quality of the material.... 1st black enclosure lasted 11 years with no sign of fade but 1 zipper failed. The one now on this boat 7 years little sign of fade or wear. Some of lesser quality in lighter colors have rotted in that time.
Pretty sure nobody has ever done a test inside a boat before, but... Mythbusters did measure identical white and black cars on a sanfrancisco afternoon. Don't remember the exact numbers, but there was about 10-15 degrees difference between them. (something like 138 vs 125 or so.)

One other thing to consider, dark colors will fade out faster.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I went from a tan flybridge enclosure to black. It's a little hotter to the touch in the middle of the day, but no hotter a foot away from it. The minimal additional heat dissipates quickly, especially when under way.

As far as fade, very little fade with black and dark blues. Red fades the worst, then maroons, even in Sunbrella fabric. I've done patches on black tops that were 10 years old and there was very little color difference.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Unless we're talking about camper canvas, I doubt it makes much difference, what with air circulation and all. But if its that hot out, who has camper canvas up anyway?

I have all black sunbrella canvas on my boat, it has never bothered me.

wingless

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Obviously the darker the cabin tent canvas is, the hotter it is. But.....enough to matter?

I live in south Florida. I have a white top now, would hate to put a navy blue on and realize a temp increase.
The installer also suggested a blue outer color with a white inside color. I don't like that idea because heat from out and glare inside, doesn't sound like a good idea?
The Sunbrella Supreme is offered w/ the Captain Navy (deep blue) on the outside and Linen (light tan) on the inside.

This is a terrific and expensive fabric. It is waterproof and very high-quality. It has a great look and feel.

The thermals are such that the dark exterior color will accept more radiant thermal energy. But, the light interior color will re-radiate less thermal energy than a dark color.

So, yes, the two-tone canvas will will be hotter at the canvas, but will have a limited effect on passengers.

The linen interior color does not have any glare.

Here is an image showing the interior linen color.

AddingBinding_zps6a3ff209.jpg