1976 Johnson 25HP, trim lock...

FishinFather

Recruit
Hi Alll,

I have a 1976 25hp johnson tiller motor and the trim does not lock in the up position. I seem to be missing a part or two and can't find the parts listing for it. on a similar envinrude of the same year, there is a slide lock for the motor titlt to lock into place. On this motor this does not seem to be present.

Can anyone help, or recommend a fix?

SKURZ

Recruit
Re: 1976 Johnson 25HP, trim lock...

I think that what he's referring to is if there is a way to lock the motor in the 'up' position when docked in shallow water or trailering. I have a '77 Johnson 20hp and I'm in the same boat...I can't see any way to keep the motor locked up. The parts that you're talking about Barry are for the reverse lock. I have my dad's '61 Evinrude 18hp lying around and that has a lever on the side that was used for locking and unlocking the motor in the 'up' position, but my 20 has nothing of the kind. I'd also appreciate any help figuring this out..are there parts missing or were they were just made this way? And I know all about the 2x4 or 'transom saver' technique but would like to fix it properly...if that's an option. Thanks.

54bobby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think they where just made that way. my 1969 25 evinrude doesn't lock up either and I have had it since new so I know it's not missing any parts.

hidef

Lieutenant

Correct the 25s and 20s of that generation did not have a lock to keep the motor up. You can tighten up the tilt bolt to create more tension or do what most people do and use a piece of 2x2 or any convenient stick to hold the motor up. The 76 and later 35s had the slide lock which the 25 received sometime in the eighties. I can't remember what year it was but it was at the same time when the 25 received the through the hub exhaust.

barrynfla

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Y'all are correct. My bad. My '76 25 hp has a lock to keep the motor in the DOWN position (which I never use as I want the motor to kick up if I hit something underwater) but nothing to keep it in the UP position. I use a transom saver when I'm trailering.