Alpha 1 Gen 2- shift bushing and vent line help?

Anger65

Seaman Apprentice
Just changed the impeller and seal carrier on my '95 5.0LX/ A1G2. When putting the lower back on, reconnecting the shift linkage, there's a little black bushing that I'm assuming goes on the shift linkage. Mine is worn out and needs replacing but I'm having trouble finding the part #, can anyone help?

I appreciate any help!!

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Alpha 1 Gen 2- shift bushing and vent line help?

I will make a wild guess, but you may be talking about what is called a shift shaft bushing, and that vent tube is probably the speedometer tube.
Can you post a picture of what you are describing so we can verifiy the particular one you have?

Anger65

Seaman Apprentice

Don thanks for the reply. Sounds about right for the bushing, do you have a part number?

And I'm guessing you're also correct on the speedo tube, if that's the tube just forward of the shifter. If so, can I just replace the fitting? I think the male fitting on the lower is fine, just the female needs fixing.

Will try to get pix tomorrow.

Anger65

Seaman Apprentice

It was the Speedo connector, got that ordered.

Been doing research on the shift shaft bushing and still having trouble with that. The part that I'm referring to is a little black bushing, about 1/2" diameter, 1/4" tall (if sitting on a flat surface). The bushing came off and was sitting on the ground when I pulled the lower, so I'm not certain but assuming it's the shift shaft since it fit. Felt like rubber or maybe poly/plastic. A couple questions:

I've read quite a bit and came across part number 26-89236 1, but I'm not sure if that's correct. My shift shaft seal looked good, just this bushing, whatever it went to, needs replacing.

1. Anyone have the part number for a '95 alpha 1 gen 2
2. Does it just slide on the shift shaft and sit above the shift shaft seal?
3. Can it be replaced without pulling the lower
4. Can I run the boat without it? (In-laws coming up this weekend and want to boat)

Thanks for the help!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Post a picture of the part and where it went.

Anger65

Seaman Apprentice

I think it's the sleeve, part c on this image, page 3b-49 from the service manual.

Shift Shaft sleeve.JPG

Anger65

Seaman Apprentice

Finally found it, part number 23-67370

It it s the sleeve. So now, my questions:

1. Has anyone found a substitute part that works (tubing, anything from local hardware store, etc)
2. Does it just slide on the shift shaft and sit above the shift shaft seal?
3. Can it be replaced without pulling the lower
4. Can I run the boat without it? (In-laws coming up this weekend and want to boat)

We'd like to make it out on the water this weekend but there are not any local boat shops with the part, and I don't want to cause problems we shouldn't run the boat without it. (lake, just cruising and having lunch - nothing crazy).

Anger65

Seaman Apprentice

Any help on the above questions?