73 chrysler transom

lincolncaster

Recruit
I'm restoring my 1973 chrysler and I found rot on the transom about six inches up so I cut out the bad wood is it possible to patch the transome with new wood or should I go ahead and rip all of the transom out. just checking because it seems like a lot of work to tear out the transom if I only can patch it any help I can get it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Paul

Re: 73 chrysler transom

Once you start you know what you have to do,but is it worth doing thats the question?If you plan on keeping you should fix right,but what all will you have to take apart to complete?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I'm restoring my 1973 chrysler and I found rot on the transom about six inches up so I cut out the bad wood is it possible to patch the transome with new wood or should I go ahead and rip all of the transom out. just checking because it seems like a lot of work to tear out the transom if I only can patch it any help I can get it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Paul

The transom has to be monolithic (one piece) and there's no way to patch it and make it as strong as it needs to be.

Yeah, it's quite a bit of work... but the transom is one of the main structures in your boat, especially if you're running an outboard motor.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

iBoatsWelcom.jpg

Pics always help us to help you. A free Photobucket account is the best way to post your pics on iBoats. Use the IMG Code to copy and paste em into your thread. As stated, it's usually all or non with a transom unless it's a small isolated section. Your pics will tell the tale.

WelcomeAboard2-1.jpg