95 johnson 150 o ring gasket issues

hogan12009

Seaman Apprentice
I have an over heat issue here... I thought it was the water pump/thermostats but it is now pumping good water and the issue is still there. The right side heats up more than the left but they do both heat up too much after only a few minutes of idle.

I pulled the one head, o rings looked old, this is a fresh rebuild at least two or three pistons 105# on all cylinders. 60 degree looper engine from what I have read they are low compression engines and 105 is pretty good. silicone looked bad.

would the leak on one side cause both banks to overheat?. Or should I assume if the one side has old gaskets and bad looking silicone the other side is the same?

I am waiting for the new gaskets and I am doing both sides Just trying to wrap my head around why both heads would be heating up if only one is leaking.

I have read that there is an update for the thermo seals but then read in the same post on here that they didn't fit?

I am thinking about running sea foam through it with a little gas can with 5 litres of fresh fuel mixed 50:1 but how much seafoam should i put in or should i use it at all and spray into the carbs directly.