Minn Kota 80PD Trolling Motor Issues

I recently purchased a used Minn Kota 80PD, before purchasing I ensure it ran, and did all the good stuff and it did. Now on the first trip out, on two different occassions when I switched it off and then went to proceed again it would not come on ..... so the first time I pulled it up out of the water and laid on the mount and it started working, the next time I just smacked the control box on the motor while it was still in the water and it started working. So I am presuming there is a loose wire in the control box somewhere .....

Here is the question, is it easy to take this apart, and what wire might be the first one that I look at to ensure it is tight

Thanks in Advance

BonairII

Commander
Re: Minn Kota 80PD Trolling Motor Issues

Go on northland marine website. It has parts diagrams you can look at.

There are only a few wires, so it shouldn't be confusing. You might have a wire that is broken within the insulation(if a connection isn't loose).

Star

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Minn Kota 80PD Trolling Motor Issues

I had a problem with an ap ipilot with water in the spare foot pedel plug. If I hit rough water the pins in the plug would conduct enough to switch to the foot pedal plug that wasn't there. I also had front power plug connection problems that would make it cutout. Minn Kota is a very good company ..take the serial number on bottom of head and the phone number and talk to there techs. They will ship in 3 or 4 days. Early control board would absorb water and act flakey. New boards are not that expensive and can be replaced in 15 minutes once you know what you are doing.