Evinrude 7,5 hp 82-83 starter recoil / spring help me

thobbe79

Recruit
I would need help with how I mount the reel where starter goes on. had to remove it when the white coil had broken, had an equally dan engine landscape. But I can not get down last about 5-10 mm in The spring with the white plastic roller. hope someone can give me a hint how I get back into position and can tighten it up again. Can post picture if needed to. The engine is a 7.5 hp evinrude year 82-83

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 7,5 hp 82-83 starter recoil / spring help me

(Manual Starter Cord Installation)
(This pertains to the vertical type of Manual Starters such as the 9.5hp and later 4.5/6/8hp models etc)
(J. Reeves)

1 - Have a pair of vice grips handy set so that they will grab the top of the starter spindle tightly but will not damage it.

2 - Using a large screwdriver inserted into the top of the starter spindle, wind the starter in a counter clockwise direction 12 to 14 turns, stopping so that the cord locking slot is facing the away from the engine.

3 - Lock the spindle in that position with the vice grips, letting the vice grips lay against the flywheel.

4 - Insert the cord as needed and make sure it is retained properly at that slot.

5 - Feed the cord out the starter cord hole at the front of the engine and attach the handle.

6 - Grip the cord tightly so that the spindle cannot spin around rapidly, then release the vice grips.

7 - Allow the cord to be withdrawn slowly around the spindle.