lets have a little fun...

SigSaurP229

Commander
What boneheaded things have you done during your starcraft restoration that made you step back and think man I am an idiot what was I thinking there. I'm gonna start by fessing up.

The first coat of paint I shot, I accidently mixed paint thinner instead of reducer.

Here are the results of that mess.

Here is another good one,

After I got that mess taken care of and shot the black I knocked my epoxied plywood floor into my not yet fully hardened black paint.

There maybe pics of that one soon.

So lets have a little fun laughing at ourselves. What Epic fails has everyone in this forum done. :facepalm:

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: lets have a little fun...

Sig, This is going to be an awesome thread!!! Because ALL of us have got good ones if we are honest. Being that I have just started mine, I don't have any good ones yet (at least on this project). But promise to share when it happens, because it will.

BonairII

Commander

I forgot to put the bolts back in.....that tie the transom to the knee brace. Went fishing with (6) 1/4" holes allowing water in the boat. Thank god I had installed a new Rule bilge pump earlier this season. :lol:

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Painted the first coat of white, a can of the wrong sheen found its way in.
They were all quarts...No one knows who picked up the one straggler, or why I never even saw it (it was me).

Dropped some dissimilar metal between the floor and sides, lost forever even though I knew it would happen eventually.

took a take a trip to lowes for one more stainless steel bolt.

barato2

Commander

i'd probably have to paste the entire resto thread on the holiday here....

ctswf, there's the alternate variation of that one: have Ace custom order the pack of 50 3" SS bolts. then realize you needed 2 1/2"....

BonairII

Commander

A couple more of my "I'm stupid" moments....

Installed steering....then realized it was backwards
Mounted motor....only to find out that the steering ram wouldn't fit into transom tube on motor unless motor was off the transom

Had boat somewhat stripped(to install floatation foam)....but motor etc were still on the boat. I walked to the back of the boat to get something...and the entire boat/trailer tilted back and almost threw me onto the garage floor. (I had forgotten to put jack stands under the back of the trailer). :lol:

SigSaurP229

Commander

BonAir thats a good one thank god for good bilge pumps right. I don't think there would be anything more heartbreaking that watching all that work at the bottom of the lake.

SigSaurP229

Commander

A couple more of my "I'm stupid" moments....

Installed steering....then realized it was backwards
Mounted motor....only to find out that the steering ram wouldn't fit into transom tube on motor unless motor was off the transom

Had boat somewhat stripped(to install floatation foam)....but motor etc were still on the boat. I walked to the back of the boat to get something...and the entire boat/trailer tilted back and almost threw me onto the garage floor. (I had forgotten to put jack stands under the back of the trailer). :lol:

I've done the second one too trailer raised up and I almost fell backwards.

dozerII

Admiral

Wow Sig this could be the thread of the century, If I was to get started I could maybe publish it as a novel. The first 16SS I did the same as Bonair with the rack and pinion, but I didn't notice till I was on the water. While sewing the convertible top on the same 16 SS I didn't notice I had run out of threat in the bobbin for about 6 feet while putting the bias binding on. Same boat again, (remember this is my first StarCraft) I ordered just enough Deck master vinyl for the floor, casting deck, and front of the consul, then I made two port consul fronts. If you look at pictures of the rebuild it has an aluminum trim that is not usually seen on them. I could go on for ever, Murphy lives with me and I only send him out once in a while to bother the rest of you.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Wow Sig this could be the thread of the century, If I was to get started I could maybe publish it as a novel. The first 16SS I did the same as Bonair with the rack and pinion, but I didn't notice till I was on the water. While sewing the convertible top on the same 16 SS I didn't notice I had run out of threat in the bobbin for about 6 feet while putting the bias binding on. Same boat again, (remember this is my first StarCraft) I ordered just enough Deck master vinyl for the floor, casting deck, and front of the consul, then I made two port consul fronts. If you look at pictures of the rebuild it has an aluminum trim that is not usually seen on them. I could go on for ever, Murphy lives with me and I only send him out once in a while to bother the rest of you.

Thats pretty good stuff Dozer, Of course I am sure you have it down to an art now though.

Mental note to self though MAKE sure to hook the rack and pinion back up properly

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Being that I have just started mine, I don't have any good ones yet (at least on this project). But promise to share when it happens, because it will.

You do have a good one, and you did share it....

You started a Starcraft Restoration.

Big bonehead move right there!

SigSaurP229

Commander

You do have a good one, and you did share it....

You started a Starcraft Restoration.

Big bonehead move right there!

HAHAHA thats not to bad at least he didn't start on a glasser

barato2

Commander

Dozer, he must have a private jet at his disposal, or mebbe one a them Star Trek transporter rooms, 'cause he sure makes it from Canada down to my neck o the woods often enough....

in fact, just last night, i was moving the Lone star to the back 40. raised the jack all the way for drainage. then lifted the front of trailer to reposition slightly. WHOOPS! The Invisible Hand of Murphy (closely related to El Mano Poderoso and El Brazo Onofre) grabbed the ram of the jack with wheel attached and yanked it right out of the jack tube, leaving me holding a very heavy trailer tongue (no OMC "counterweight" on stern at moment) with nothing to support it. so all i could do was drop it in the dirt, and go get the scissors jack later. i didn't know those could even come out of the tube, but apparently on older trailer jacks it is possible.

barato2

Commander

oh, and another: if you're going to build woodwork, it's a really good idea to be sure the plywood you're using has exterior grade glue BEFORE you get the console, and most of the other wood on the boat, built from the other kind..........

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Only two so far. I decided to replace my pretzel, I mean axle. Jacked up the trailer while it was still on the tongue jack and put the jack stands under. After I R/R'ed the axle. I got the bright idea to rotate tires. Undid the spare up front and the tongue rose up like magic, I just managed to avoid the winch post to the chin. Yep, the jack stands some how moved to the front of the axle. :facepalm: That was wise - NOT.

For my second one I marked the rib ends so I would drill in the right places to secure the floor. Got her her all back together and splashed. Everything was great, then I saw water shooting out the side of the boat. My float switch turned my pump on! Flipped on the second pump and got the rest of the water out. Did it a couple more times. When I retrieved and had her on the trailer, water was coming out a hole the same size as the bit I used to drill the floor/rib. Yeah I missed the rib. :facepalm: Big dummy!

InMotion

Commander

I think a good rule of thumb is that if you haven't done it at least twice, you really haven't done it right!

I completely mounted my 90 on the back of the Jup at least 2 times... had to remove it after realizing that the steering cable would not attach without the motor being tilted. Then the same cable was to short. Then got a new one and did it right... but installed the upper bolts backwards! Lot's of 5200 everywhere... but I got it right. Motor stayed on! Pretty quick at removing a motor now! :)

Ya... the list for sure would be epic for most! B2/Dozer... agreed that most of us could just create a link to our posts! One running set of posts of how to do everything several times over and still manage somehow to come out with semi-decent results!

J.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

wow! you sir, most likely just saved me quite a headache. I'm planning to install a motor friday, not only a headache but I may have derailed my first splash, which is set for sunday (i hope). just measured, mine doesn't fit either if the motor is installed

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

I've had quite a few mental lapses, but my most recent one was today. Started applying epoxy in a nice, warm, sunny spot, as it's pretty cool here for mid-May. First two coats gelled up fine, sun goes behind trees, third coat just sitting there now, pooling in low spots. Probably a 30 degree difference out of the sun, low 50s in the shade and a frost warning tonight :facepalm:. Oh well, guess I'll be doing a bunch more fairing than anticipated.

EDIT: Still not as disappointing as cracking my plexi cabin windshield as I was trying to heat bend it. No fixing that one.

...and I'll be using a disgraceful amount of exterior caulk on my bulkhead to gunwale contour...thank jeebus for trim and paint.

barato2

Commander

maybe put a tarp over your work to create a tent and put a 500w halogen light under it? or just aim the light right at your epoxied surface and move it as things cure up. i've had to use the auxiliary heat approach more than a few times, incl when i've mixed a "cold" batch (not enough hardener) and it doesn't want to cure.