composite floor materials

richstick

Cadet
I have a 14' aluminum Starcraft that I want to put a flat floor and casting deck into. Weight, of course, is a concern, since I only have a 15hp Johnson to push it. I have found the King Starboard decking material online, and am wondering if anybody has experience with this product, or knows of similar products. Barring this, does anybody have any suggestions for a total newbie putting a floor in an aluminum boat??? Thanks!

richstick

Cadet
Re: composite floor materials

Yep, I will do a search. Sorry for a duplicate thread. thanks!

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

The lightest material would probably be marine ply coated with CPES and no glass. Will last a very long time and you could design it so it could be easily replaced if necessary.(It will probably last as long as you own the boat.)

crab bait

Captain

that starboard stuff is extremely heavy an is plastic that's not for structure ..to soft.. <br /><br />VERY EXPENSIVE..<br /><br />try aluminum plating.. ( from a metal supply wholesaler )..<br /><br />just cut with a jig-saw or circular saw with a metal cuttin' blade.. <br /><br />just aluminum pop rivet it down to the ribs..

richstick

Cadet

Thanks guys, I might be able to get aluminum sheeting through my work - I'll look into that. Ok, please excuse my ignorance - what is CPES? I've read on here about soaking plywood in marine epoxy, is that what you are talking about??