"Metal Hitting" Noise In Reverse

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Have read some older Threads asking about this, but didn't see any info helpful to us.

Anyway, have a '92 Celebrity 200 Cuddy w/5.7L engine and Alpha One outdrive. Yesterday at our boat storage, had the muffs/hose on the drive and the drive down almost touching the cement, started the engine with water running........fine. Decided to check the forward and reverse of the drive. Shifted into forward, sounded fine w/prop turning fine. Went back to neutral and then into reverse and wife and I could hear a "clanging" metal type sound (prop turning fine) and she had me put the drive back into neutral. Waited about 30 seconds then put the drive back in reverse.........no "clanging" metal noise for a few seconds and then it started up. Put back into neutral and shut off engine. I can't remember the last time I put the drive into reverse while it was on the muffs/hose. This past January had the drive serviced some, but don't think the tech put it into reverse on the muffs.

Talked to a friend of ours who is a long-time boat power boat owner and he told me that the noise should be normal while sitting on the trailer/out of the water and on the muffs/hose/water.

Anyway, a bit worried that something is wrong, but our friend told me not to worry that much.

Would like to get some other opinions.
Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: "Metal Hitting" Noise In Reverse

May have been the drive wasn't all the way into reverse the first time you tried it. May be nothing more that things a little stiff after setting all winter.