Merc serial #

jacklegmech

Cadet
Help me if you can please. I,ve had this 1983-225 sea ray for over 3 years now. The person that sold it to me said straight up that he knew nothing about it and his mechanic had moved out of state. The engine is not a 1983 and it's been told to me that it is a 1995, by another boater who can't tell me how he determined that. Right now it's running like new since i've basically fixed everything from the engine to the alpha 1 outdrive. I,ve had the engine out and there are no numbers on the stbd side near the starter or anywhere else, but i really want to know what the serial # is. On the port side and aft just below the coil reads "GM 5.7 SGI" and just above that reads "L144"). It is a 5.7 L mercruiser with a 4 bbl webber carb on it (which i've changed to a new Edelbrock 1405) and alpha 1 gen 1 outdrive but how in the world will i ever find out the exact year?
Thank you

jacklegmech

Cadet
Re: Merc serial #

I have more information i forgot to give with my request for merc serial #. On the stbd rear of engine just under the distributer and ECM module there's another number on the rim "14093638".
Thanks again

jacklegmech

Cadet

Ok, i got that but when ordering parts would i just use those years (1987-1995)?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It depends on what parts you are looking for, you probably have a mix of old and new stuff on your engine, so it will be taking each item and figuring out what you have and what you need.
What parts are you looking for exactly.

jacklegmech

Cadet

Nothing right now but for the last few years i've been doing just that and i was just trying to narrow it down to the exact year if possible just to satisfy myself. Everything is A1 right now.

mguidry629

Seaman

Hey Jacklegmech, I'm in the same boat as you....I posted a thread a couple days ago about it and bumped it today, but not getting anywhere with it. I have no Mercruiser Serial # for my motor, but I knew it wasn't the original motor in the boat....thanks to Don's link I found out that my block is a 1996-up vortec roller, but that doesn't help with tracking down an Merc Ser #. I think we're stuck just replacing parts as they come based on the part #'s. We won't have the luxury of searching for parts using a Merc Ser #. My motor is running good as well, but like you I just wanna know my Serial #, or at least the Serial # from the original motor.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If either of you have the drive and Gimbal housing serial number you could call Merc and they MAY be able to tell you the engine serial number that was originally installed with these components...

Chris.......