1998 Bayliner Capri Electric Motor Raise/Lower Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

deerlakebum

Recruit
I have a 1998 Bayliner Capri with an outboard where the electric (hydraulic) Motor raise/Lower only goes down and not up. Does anyone have an idea what the problem is? Is there a way to release the engine and manually raise it for towing?

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1998 Bayliner Capri Electric Motor Raise/Lower Problem

Can you raise it with the trailer switch? Looks like the trim limit switch issue.

shrew

Lieutenant
Re: 1998 Bayliner Capri Electric Motor Raise/Lower Problem

I doubt it's the Trim Limit. That would only allow the drive to go 'up (out) to a certain point. There is no indication from the description that it goes out a little bit. The real question is, when you hit either the trim out or the Trailer button, does the trim motor run at all? Or do you just hear a 'click' and nothing? If so, it is more than likely the solenoid on the trim pump. There are two, one for In and one for Out. If one goes, the other will likel be close behind.

One way to validate is to jump the posts on the solenoid. Another work around is to tap the out (UP) as many times as fast as you can. This will repeatedly slam the switch in the solenoid and can work the corrosion off very temporarily. Frequently, after about 20-30 very fast clicks, you might hear it catch once. It will probably even begin working for a short time again. This is tell tale that the solenoid has seen the end of it's days.

debrob5562

Recruit
I have a 98 Bayliner capri. The trim will go up with no problem but it clicks and hesitates to catch to go down. What would cause this?

jbcurt00

Staff member
I have a 98 Bayliner capri. The trim will go up with no problem but it clicks and hesitates to catch to go down. What would cause this?
Start a topic about your trim motor, include OB vs I/O info

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.